Issues configuring PPPoE with Raspberry Pi 4

I'm running OpenWRT 21.02 on a Raspberry Pi 4, but I'm having some issues getting connected to the internet. Checked the logs and it shows that my PPPoE authentication is failing. For context, I have my lan interface automatically set up as br-lan and wan interface set up with my PPPoE credentials. The Pi is connected to the fiber ONT and is serving as the router (ONT is in bridged mode).

Am I missing something? Tried using the configs on some tutorials online, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

How old were the tutorials? Pre 21.02?

Anyway, without seeing your config it's going to be difficult to know what you did wrong. Though "authentication failing" suggests it's a simple matter of your credentials being incorrect

Dotlee,

Am I wrong or is in your config WAN and LAN (br-lan) from eth0?
They also have the same mac?
This can't be the right way.

DG.

I'm pretty lost here, what am I doing wrong?

On that tutorial already a USB to Ethernet dongle is used (eth1).
So how would you do that without USB to Ethernet dongle? As your config shows WAN and LAN both eth0, which can't be on router based OS like OpenWrt. It needs 2 different eth ports (or vlans, eth0.1 and eth0.2).
A raspberry only has 1 eth port (and a wlan port), are you using that? According your config, not.
Your WAN port should have another eth port, if you have one?

DG.

That's a good point, however, before I connect my USB to Ethernet adapter, I wanted to just use the router to get internet connection first, which I can verify with a ping. Currently, when I issue a ping, it tells me network unreachable.

What config should I be using instead?

I plan to use a USB to Ethernet adapter to connect the Pi to my computer. However, before I do that, I just want to verify that the Pi has internet connection and I can install some programs on it as well.

In this case, should I be configuring another device as eth1? How would I do this?

That's making the situation unreasonably hard on you, it's possible, but would require pretty much a complete reconfiguration of the network setup - which you'd have to change completely again, after installing the USB3-ethernet card again. Just don't do it, attach the USB3-ethernet card now (do a factory reset/ firstboot and keep it simple.

1 Like

Ok sure. Would I need another router to first complete the initial setup in order to download the drivers? Or would I be able set up an internet connection using the Pi itself? Right now I don't have another router.

Additionally, connecting the Pi to my computer via the USB to Ethernet adapter works. So this means, I won't need to download additional drivers for the USB to Ethernet adapter?

That solely depends on the chipset of your usb-ethernet card and if its drivers are pre-installed/ part of the original image.

The Pi recognized the adapter, but it doesn't have drivers. Checked by running ifconfig and I can't see another eth connection apart from eth0.

In this case, I'll need to configure the Pi to use the existing Ethernet port to connect to the internet first before downloading the drivers. Can this be done, and how should I configure my network if I want to do this?
@anon50098793 any thoughts on this? Should be your area of expertise :wink:

You could manually download the driver package on another device (your PC?) and simply upload it to the pi and install it that way

This is the driver I need, but how do I download the source? Can't seem to find the download for the module.

Is it possible to bootstrap and just use the Pi as the router? My existing router is damaged, and I bought the Pi to replace it lol. Wasn't aware that I'd need another router to make it work :relieved:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.0/targets/bcm27xx/bcm2711/packages/kmod-usb-gadget-cdc-composite_5.4.143-1_aarch64_cortex-a72.ipk

1 Like

I'm not sure, but here's my take when I need to setup a RPi4 and all drivers BEFORE putting it online, you need to have this device inside a working network with Internet access :

Modify /etc/config/network :
section :
config interface 'lan'
add the following :
option gateway 'W.X.Y.Z'
list dns 'W.X.Y.Z'
where W.X.Y.Z is your current internet gateway/access router.

Sure, I understand the need for internet access to configure the router, but I want to know how do I make the Pi work as the router itself?

At this point, once I install the driver, is there anything else I'd need to install to make it work?

The next step apart from drivers are the network configuration, which is something I'm having an issue with as well.

Since ethernet port is local, what are you using as USB ppoe driver, I am using kmod-usb-net-rtl8152 with TP-Link UE300

PPPoE is a software protocol, independent of the hardware - and it's preinstalled on OpenWrt (release versions). All you need, are the ethernet drivers for the corresponding USB hardware.

Same thing as you are. Do you mind sharing your network config? If you're using the same setup as me, I can just adapt yours.

I've got my Pi connected to the modem (which is in bridge mode). I plan to connect the modem to the Pi via the Ethernet adapter. Then another Ethernet connection from the Pi to my PC using the built in Ethernet port.

Yup, I understand that part. My network file is misconfigured, and I need help with that.

However, in the process of figuring out how to configure my network (including PPPoE details), I also found out that I'd need additional drivers to be installed as well hence the additional work : )

I'm not sure I understand your setup, you refer to ethernet twice, so where is the USB connection?

You can't simply refer to ethernet without specifying the USB driver/device...
Of course PPoE is built-in, but how are you physically connected ?