Issue WPA2 Enterprise Client

No I have not tried that yet.

I've been trying to get it to work on an Ubuntu machine and I'm having a similar problem. While it also continually auths and then disconnects, I never see connected in that log, but it does give the disconnect reason as (Reason: 17=IE_DIFFERENT).

I don't know how relevant that is for the router, but I've also realized that, thus far, I've only been able to connect with a Windows 10 laptop and nothing linux based (tried android phone, ubuntu laptop, and ofcourse OpenWrt router)

This makes me wonder if it could have to do with the host network.

I use EAP-PWD with android, linux laptops, etc and it's a very nice method. I do find it less irritating, doesn't require anything but a password, no expiration dates on the certs, no horribly broken encryption. (there were some CVEs against it at one point, but I think resolved)

Unfortunately, this is more aiming towards compatibility than trying to just get one strong security that works.

Ideally, I will be able to support all of the 802.1x auth methods, but for now I need to at least get eap-tls and peap working.

I had eap/peap mschapv2 running with a freeradius 3.0 server and a openwrt ap with android and windows clients. But as I wrote it was a mess in terms of stability and authentication took quite long, sometimes authentication was not possible for 5-10 minutes,... eap/tls authenticates in subsecond and is really save and stable...

1 Like

Turns out it was somehow a problem with my host network. I decided to use an old travel router to actually host the network and have the pi just host the RADIUS server, and now it appears to all work well!

Thanks for all your input! Too bad I was never able to find the exact cause.

This also means that tomorrow I will tackle EAP-TLS and all that other fun stuff.

This is likely territory that Broadcom's Pi WiFi driver has never been pushed into.

I know for sure that the thing does not like 802.11w.

Okay, just for completeness i want to add that I've got eap-tls working and everything appears to be fine.

I've had a few unexplained disconnects, but it has been generally good thus far!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.