Issue upgrade to LEDE on a DOCKSTAR Kirkwood device now with openwrt

For now i using a dockstar as WIFI accespoint with openwrt version 15.05 with the installation steps on https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/seagate/dockstar with uboot version U-Boot 2016.05-tld-1 (Jun 12 2016 - 13:34:27 -0700)

This works great but i can't upgrade this to a new version (upgrade tab is not availible). For security and safety i want to upgrade this to a new LEDE version. How can i do that because the lede version has no zimage , ubs and dtb files (and maybe also another partitioning format).

Can anybody give me the exact steps to upgrade this to a new lede version? Currently i have serial access on this device.

Extra information:

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 000e0000 00020000 "uboot"
mtd1: 00020000 00020000 "uboot_env"
mtd2: 00100000 00020000 "second_stage_uboot"
mtd3: 0fe00000 00020000 "root"

The available files from lede:

[F] lede-kirkwood-dockstar-initramfs-uImage
[F] lede-kirkwood-dockstar-squashfs-factory.bin
[F] lede-kirkwood-dockstar-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar
[F] lede-kirkwood-dockstar-uImage

Thanks for your help!

Pretty sure it's about the same as on my iOmega iConnect....

• Install new uboot (new mtd/image layout)
  • Wipe nandfs
  • Boot initramfs image
  • Install new version using sysupgrade (scp the file to your device)
  • Done

@jongerenchaos I've written new instructions for a Dockstar to reflash to the latest OpenWrt if you would like to try them out: https://openwrt.org/toh/seagate/dockstar#installing_openwrt_19077_with_serial

You've got serial, which is great. You already have a second_stage_uboot, which you will need for 19.07.7+ubifs.

1 Like

I'm sure he's moved to new hardware after 4 years :grinning:

How close is this to the original Sheeva Plug ? I have a bunch unused ( I believe one has Debian 10 running off a USB drive ) with an updated boot loader, so I could run hostapd directly - the problem is that to make it an access point I either boot of SD card or tftp boot it - would be nice to put Openwrt in flash and plug in a Wifi USB adapter.

What is funny is that this 12 year old device has more RAM and flash compared to my main router and the access points :laughing: One problem that I did have was with the power supply - I think they had issues from the start and there was not enough ventilation.

seems it's been done ...

I think that is an older page - there used to be a native Sheeva plug Openwrt image while back. The Linux they are booting is 2.6.37.6

I am sure it would be possible to build it from source these days as the device has a lot of ram and flash, so one does not have to try to shoehorn Openwrt on a low ram/flash device. When it first came out, it was a fun device to play with - don't recall if it came out at the same time as the original RasPi - having serial console with a built in USB to serial built in was nice. It had 1Gb/s network right from the start, so in theory it could make a nice access point.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.