Is wpad (full) sufficient for 802.11s use?

On the surface this question seems kind of silly, as it says right on the wiki page that "wpad (full) is not sufficient for 802.11s use".

But I am trying out Dawn and the fact is none of the wpad-mesh is sufficient for Dawn's use (I tried myself). So I went ahead with wpad-wolfssl for my setup, and my 802.11s + batman mesh seems to be working flawlessly. I didn't even realize there is a warning in the wiki until I actually bumped into the wiki page afterwards and read the warning.

So will I run into problems? Or does that warning no longer apply?

1 Like

The information on the wiki no longer applies in case you are using wpad-openssl or wpad-wolfssl (it still does apply to wpad with built-in crypto) since commit

3 Likes

Thank you. I have updated the wiki to reflect the correct info.

2 Likes

I have corrected it once again, because wpad (ie. full, but with internal crypto) does not contain support for SAE and 802.11s mesh. Only wpad-openssl and wpad-wolfssl does (as well as the corresponding wpa-supplicant variants) in addition to the *-mesh-* variants.

2 Likes

And what are the -mesh versions still for?

1 Like

They were mostly intended for situations with extremely little amount of flash. wpad-mesh-wolfssl could just fit on 4 MiB flash device (with everything else removed) like TL-WR841N. The full wpad variants are still a bit larger as they also support WPA-EAP aka. WPA Enterprise.

1 Like

They are only 8 KB apart.

1 Like

... 8 KiB we used to care about...

1 Like

Having Problems on Latest Release and WPA Enterprise WPA-EAP, It seams not to try to contact my radius... (I Don´t see requests on the Radius) but if i test it from the AP it works as designed

Please create a new thread describing your problem rather than hijacking this rather unrelated thread.

1 Like

I did that before hijacking this thread ... sorry for that..
Link to my Thread

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.