Is VHT160 or VHT80P80 working on current builds of OpenWrt (18.06.4)?

Hi all,

I have a NETGEAR R7800 router and was wondering if OpenWrt 18.06.4 supports either VHT160 or VHT80P80? I realise it's a rather open-ended question but so far I've only found one solution that was a patch and a startup script in conjunction with each other.

Currently dd-wrt and stock both support 160MHz (unsure if actually 160 or 80+80), but dd-wrt is (in my opinion anyway) rather user-hostile setting up IPv6 and stock doesn't support DNS encryption (Voxel doesn't work too well for this either). It would be great if I could get 160MHz support so I can get close to my gigabit connection speeds.

Thanks,
Alex

EDIT: Forgive my ignorance, but is this of relevance?

Yes, the ath10k-ct discussion is likely relevant. Given that it was resolved eight days ago, it would not be present in 18.06.4, may not be backported to 19.07, and it may not be master yet.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Could I ask what the ath10k-ct packages that can be installed with opkg are? As in, if those packages are updated would it be possible to just have to update the package to utilise this fix?

As it sounded to me like there were upstream (Linux) changes from https://github.com/greearb/ath10k-ct/issues/85#issuecomment-520404514 it likely would need a "fresh" build due to the kernel change. (I can't confirm right now as my build machine is down.)

Just applying my patch to ath10k-ct fixes it. No kernel changes necessary.
Changes already applied to master and 19.07. Doesn't go further back than that because they use older kernel compatible versions of the driver. Similar local patches could be applied with high probability of success, but not tested.

@MrAlex94 with the above patch (or using latest master/19.07) VHT160 and VHT80P80 will work, but there's no GUI config for VHT80P80, and netifd and the OpenWrt to hostapd config generators don't know what to do with it either.
I posted a patch for this too, but it has not been upstreamed to OpenWrt (It's not a very clean patch anyway, needs to be tidier)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.