Is there any point expanding root partition and filesystem from this:

Screenshot 2024-06-24 165320

I am runnign OpenWrt 23.05.3 on an HP Prodesk 600 G4 SFF (Intel i5 8500)
owrt is runnign as a VM in Proxmox.

When I created the VM I resized the

wget'ed openwrt-23.05.3-x86-64-generic-ext4-combined-efi.img

to 6GB before attaching it as a disk to my openwrt VM using:

qemu-img resize -f raw openwrtxxxxx.img 6G
qm importdisk "VMID" openwrtxxxxx.img *STORAGEID*

Howver Ive only just noticed now that the majority of the 6GB is pretty much wasted and unused accordig to what I see in Luci.

Im using owrt as my primary basic router for the home with a PCIE MT7916 passed through for 6GHz wifi AP and no other services of note. Is it worth trying to resize everything to get full use of the extra disk space?

The only other thing I will get round to adding in openwrt is VPN. I know samba4 uses up some space but I wont have any need for that as I also run openmediavault as another VM on this proxmox box and will also be adding a cloud storage VM soon.

I think the easiest way for me to do this is to attach a linux iso CD to the openwrt VM and boot that up and then just resize from that linux inside the owrt VM. But is it worth bothering with? Im not particularly concerned about the unused 6GB on this virtual disk on the physical NVME drive and at the moment it seems like the limited 104MB size of root partition / isnt going to pose any problems for my use case.

In my experience, "no" is the proper answer. I keep my edge router trimmed down, with as few packages as are needed to just make it provide the desired functionality (mostly ad blocking and encrypted DNS and such), plus a couple of debug tools (tcpdump, nmap, conntrack, that sort of thing).

My rationale is that I want the attack surface as small as possible, so the router is just a router. So, even though the hardware is a 4-core x86, 4GB ram and 128 GB storage, I just have router/firewall/VPN on it and nothing else gets to run on it, and certainly nothing more is exposed to the WAN side.

3 Likes

I would have kept the image as small as possible, but with enough space for all the packages you might need. Then, add new volumes for data, but only if you plan to use it as a NAS or similar.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.