Is there any dev working on the NanoPi R2S

I'm planning on buying the R2S and using it together a switch and an Ubiquiti AP, but i heard that the R2S runs so hot. Are you guys having problems with temps?
SQM should works flashely in this thing.

1 Like

i am planning to do the same setup. not sure wich ap i will use ubiquiti or mikrotik

I've got the Unifi AC LR with openwrt. Here are some words i wrote in other post. I recomend using it with no -ct firmware/drivers.

This week i bought the Ubiquiti Unifi-UAP-LR. I had doubt if i should had buy the comfast AP or de Ubiquiti, but finally i went for the Ubiquiti. I can tell you that the wifi signal is amazing. It can perfectly double the coverage of a regular router, and the stability its just amazing.
Near the AP i get 450 Mbps over 5ghz in my S10+. On 2.4ghz i get like 100, but the phone only runs 1 stream. Even when the phone has 0 of 4 coverage stripes it works fine withouth increased ping.

What make me decide to go for the Ubiquiti is that i couldnt find reviews of any AC comfast AP, and probably the build quality of the Ubiquiti its better. I know it doesnt have MU-MIMO and other things, but i don't think the comfast could do better job. I wont never know.

You might want to buy a third party aluminum case for passive cooling.

I used a Pi3 GPIO serial to get 1500000. I did not have any USB adapters that supported above 500k.

1 Like

Hello, i managed to get OpenWrt to boot on NanoPi R2S using friendlyarm/kernel-rockchip with some changes to dts. Please note that this is at its initial stage and performance degradation might be observed. Please report any issue in my github.

Thanks.
Release: https://github.com/jayanta525/openwrt-nanopi-r2s/releases

5 Likes

Do you have one? I searched and only found two ones but they are quite expensive (like 25$)

I have this one, it definitely worth it though.

It's the one i saw. That web page doesn't send to spain, so i can only buy it on aliexpress, and it cost like 25$. Sad.

provide more information.

the packet drop interface, is it eth0 or eth1, is it WAN or LAN.

I will need more information. eth0 wan and eth1 lan isn't sufficient. Which interface is having packet drops every second.

Seems like you're using a Netgear managed switch, why is both lan and wan connected to untagged ports belonging to the same vlan?

Post your network configuration.

which interface is having packet drops.

refer to this

Testing found another problem, CPU imbalance scheduling, cpu0 pressure is very high.

1 Like

that is softirq, its meant to be single core, may you downloaded something that used up your bandwidth and for NAT your ksoftirq/0 got to ~60% usage.

Use irqbalance.

I found that we can solder an SPI flash chip, so we wouldn't need SD card and we could run the nanopi without the SD card.
NanoPi_R2S-layout
You can find this SPI flash chips for less than 1$, for example this one with 64MB of flash. https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32820456867.html

1 Like

If booting directly from a flash chip is anywhere near as difficult as implementing USB boot on the RPi 4B then someone is in for a hell of a ride to get that working.

Booting from the SPI isn't that tough.

1. Add spi node in DTS
  2. Modify uboot
  3. Add kernel configs
  4. Modify openwrt makefile to generate squashfs images.
  5. mtd write images with an operating system.

I will look into supporting nanopi r2s with SPI flash.

2 Likes

SPI boot should work as long as u-boot and kernel (+ device tree) has support for it. While the u-boot that Armbian used can successfully detect my W25Q256 chip (only the lower half is usable due to the lack of 4-byte addressing support), I haven't tried actually reading/writing to the flash in u-boot yet.

SD card is very convenient, SPI flash chip need to welding is not necessary to use.