Is there a way to confirm whether I'm on DSA?

I guess I'm on DSA - is there a way to confirm, say over the CLI?

I use a mix of Archer C7v2 and A7v5, all running GoldenOrb_2023-07-26 (OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT)

It appears you are using firmware that is not from the official OpenWrt project.

When using forks/offshoots/vendor-specific builds that are "based on OpenWrt", there may be many differences compared to the official versions (hosted by OpenWrt.org). Some of these customizations may fundamentally change the way that OpenWrt works. You might need help from people with specific/specialized knowledge about the firmware you are using, so it is possible that advice you get here may not be useful.

You may find that the best options are:

1. Install an official version of OpenWrt, if your device is supported (see https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org).
  2. Ask for help from the maintainer(s) or user community of the specific firmware that you are using.
  3. Provide the source code for the firmware so that users on this forum can understand how your firmware works (OpenWrt forum users are volunteers, so somebody might look at the code if they have time and are interested in your issue).

If you believe that this specific issue is common to generic/official OpenWrt and/or the maintainers of your build have indicated as such, please feel free to clarify.

2 Likes

Golden Orb should be OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT with built in modem drivers

https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/download.html

Even if you're not running vanilla OpenWrt, this can be easily checked. Just type swconfig in the console, if it produces output, you are not on DSA. For DSA, check if ip link reports individual interfaces for every port. If yes, you are on DSA, if not, you're not.

Exactly, and that's the reason why it's not OpenWrt but a fork, based on an old and as of yet unsupported version of OpenWrt.

7 Likes

Here's what I see:

# swconfig
swconfig list
swconfig dev <dev> [port <port>|vlan <vlan>] (help|set <key> <value>|get <key>|load <config>|show)

# swconfig list
Found: switch0 - mdio.0

# ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether f0:da:c4:61:f0:26 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: wwan0: <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/none 
12: br-lan: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
13: eth0.1@eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master br-lan state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
14: eth0.2@eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether a3:d4:f7:02:80:24 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
15: br-guestradio1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc cake state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether be:da:c4:61:f0:26 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
16: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master br-lan state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether f0:da:c4:61:f0:25 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
17: wlan1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master br-lan state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
18: wlan1-1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master br-guestradio1 state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether be:da:c4:61:f0:26 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
21: ifb4br-guestrad: <BROADCAST,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc cake state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 32
    link/ether fe:1e:a9:72:ae:4c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Those are both ath79 platforms, even in the latest versions ath79 is still swconfig.

2 Likes

Obviously, not DSA :slight_smile:

1 Like

@openwrtnewb - you should now have your answer.

But importantly, you are not running OpenWrt. You are running something that is derived from OpenWrt. I often compare it to the high fructose corn syrup maple "flavored" syrups vs real maple syrup. If you want the real thing, you can install OpenWrt (your device is well supported). As long as you're using firmware that did not come from openwrt.org, you need to refer all of your questions to the respective source/maintainer of that firmware (in this case, the people who build/maintain GoldenOrb).

5 Likes

because swconfig list had an output?

2 Likes

That is the plan: figure out how things are done on GoldenOrb, and if, how they can be done better and then get it working on stock OpenWrt so I am no longer depending on GoldenOrb

1 Like

Yes, swconfig isn't installed at all if your device is DSA. It reports your switch, so it's not DSA.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.