Is there a remote Luci interface?

I'm not thinking accesing the Luci interface on the router remotely, I'm thinking using a local version of Luci to an OpenWRT router that doesn't have Luci installed.

Does this exist?
If not, is it feasable?

I'm thinking for devices low on RAM/Space.

Why not use ssh and vim?

because of the same reason people use Luci: easier management.

I don't know how to configure the router using text files.

Other people had that thought before you: Making an iOS/Android App for OpenWrt

That's (kind of) exactly what I was looking for.
I don't really understand the inner workings of Luci, so I don't know if it's the same that's being discussed on that thread (I'm reading still), but it's similar: have an app (could be a webapp that can be opened by any browser in any platform) that reads the configuration on the router, modify the parameters that you want, and send those changes in form of commands (or maybe just something like a configuration file in Luci).

I do beleive this could be useful to those low powered routers that are losing support because of low storage/RAM and but could still work without the web interface.

Then please continue the discussion in the linked topic.

1 Like

Available not yet, feasible not yet fully either - but with the slow migration of LuCI to the client side it will become feasible eventually.

An option for you to try is to make your changes using luCi on the OpenWrt router you have, then Save rather than Save & Apply, click the button in the upper right corner and it'll show you the uci changes which are going to be made. As in, it'll give you the CLI commands for what changes you made.

That is a good idea.
I didn't realise that existed.
Is it new?
I don't remember seeing that on 17 or 18.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.