Is sysupgrade option (upgrade OpenWrt software from lucy ) safe?

i have read a lot had problems upgrading openwrt version from newer packages, what is the propper way?

Sysupgrade (i.e. upgrading the entire OpenWrt firmware) is usually safe. Upgrading packages is typically not (see the warning about that below).

What device do you have? What is the current OpenWrt version? And are you trying to upgrade to the latest?

what is the output of the following:

ubus call system board

Upgrading packages (via the CLI opkg upgrade command or the LuCI Upgrade... button) can result in major problems. It is generally highly discouraged, unless you know what you are doing or if there is specific instruction to do so.

1 Like
{
        "kernel": "5.10.161",
        "hostname": "Potato-667",
        "system": "MediaTek MT7628AN ver:1 eco:2",
        "model": "TP-Link TL-MR3420 v5",
        "board_name": "tplink,tl-mr3420-v5",
        "rootfs_type": "squashfs",
        "release": {
                "distribution": "OpenWrt",
                "version": "22.03.3",
                "revision": "r20028-43d71ad93e",
                "target": "ramips/mt76x8",
                "description": "OpenWrt 22.03.3 r20028-43d71ad93e"
        }
}

i have heard some people screwed their routers updating it, that is why i am taking previsions before accidentaly bricking my only router

The wiki page for your device details fail safe mode, its also useful having a console cable to recover from bad flashes and misconfiguration.

1 Like

you're already on the latest, so you don't need to do any updates until a new version is available.

But yes, generally the upgrades are safe... read the release notes for any known issues or upgrade warnings/considerations.

Rule of thumb -- upgrading minor versions/service releases can be done while keeping settings. Major version upgrades may, but do not always require a reset to defaults if major items have changed. It is considered best practice to reset to defaults during major upgrades and then reconfigure using a backup as a reference.... but if it isn't required, you can cross that bridge when you get there.

Just don't run the package upgrades (per my warning above) and you'll be fine.

1 Like

ty, yes i have heard that, about upgrading packages would break everything, any solution for it?

Upgrading packages should be reserved for when it is actually needed (such as a specific bug fix, security patch, or feature addition that you actually need), per the instructions in the linked article. Otherwise, package upgrades are just generally not necessary to do.

If you do upgrade packages and end up breaking your router, booting into failsafe mode and then resetting to defaults will fix it.

Be sure to make a backup of your config when you have things setup the way you want... and make new backups anytime you make changes that you want to be able to easily restore/reference in the event that you do need to reset for any reason.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.