Is RT-AX53U performance good in OpenWrt?

That's great, congrats on your new OW device!

Yes, I went through these instructions when going through ax devices on the ToH. I misunderstood the instructions to mean that I'd always be forever stuck with either having to use dangowrt's builds or use the scripts to build images myself instead of OW's regular builds.

Thank you for correcting my confusion. How's the performance? Do you have PPPoE connection and is that doing well with simultaneous Wi-Fi load? I'll be definitely seriously consider getting this now.

True, but they're still fairly expensive. Since my home network needs to serve 5 devices at most, I'm hesitant to invest so much dough, I just don't think it's worth it.

I do not have a PPPoE ISP. That said, the MT7622 is a lot more CPU than, listed in increasing order of capability, the qca9563, MT7621AT, ipq40xx or even ipq806x. Even without its offloading capability, a MT7622 should meet your needs up to half a Gig ISP service fine.

I don't have any ax clients. I'm sure you've found the same range of performance reports on the forum I have - general consensus seems to be 802.11ac is pretty good, with mixed results reported for ax beyond modest ranges. I'll at least let you know my take on 802.11ac if I get a chance to swap it in for one of my dumb AP's.

1 Like

That's to say with offloading, it should do upto a gig just fine? I've been looking into SQM docs, it asks to test for bufferbloats. The online tests appear to indicate I don't have much of a problem with it, so I guess I can ignore SQM for now? Not that I can get anywhere near a gig of service, far too expensive with this country's gov duopoly.

Offloading won't help SQM - they aren't compatible with each other. The RT3200 is reported to handle in the range of half a Gig with CAKE SQM and approaching full Gig with fq_codel. CAKE runs on a single core, whereas fq_codel both requires less CPU to begin with and can make us of multiple cores.

Yes, I know SQM doesn't work with offloading; I was musing that I may not need SQM because bufferbloat doesn't seem to be an issue for me, and so preserve full hardware offload. But of course, my service is quarter of a gig, so besides getting proper Wi-Fi speeds, I'm not concerned for CPU bottlenecks for WAN connection at all.

By the way, off-topic, but this came up when discussing router requirement for someone else: how's the Broadcom BCM4709C0 in Linksys EA9500? They need something to serve a small-sized office, but they have a couple of devices whose (also PPPoE) internet uptime is critical. Of course I can tell the processor is beyond what you'd find in typical, cheap consumer devices, but how do I differentiate how good they are? I don't have a good benchmark to tell the host of ARM processors you mentioned in earlier reply apart. I'm simply not familiar with this niche.