Is Netgear R7800 really this slow?

The max wired WAN to LAN speed I get is 50Mb (bits) using openwrt 18.06.1.
My old Buffalo router that's 6 years old and cost less than 1/3 the price gets 250Mb.
I have AT&T gigabit internet and get 930Mb when I just plug straight into their router.

What speeds should I really expect?
This 50Mb I get is straight after install. Fiddling with anything like offload doesn't make any difference. I've tried swapping cables and, obviously, wireless isn't any faster than wired.

While I don't have the r7800, but the very similar nbg6817, it is working fine -and with lots of performance to spare- with 100/40 MBit/s (PPPoE) for me; as-is and without flow-offloading enabled, ipq8065 should be fine for 350-400 MBit/s.

Last I tested I got more than 50mbps even on wireless, although I haven't moved to 18.x yet.

You should probably try @hnyman's build or trunk

From what I understand WIFI is currently a bit wonky due to the change of driver.

Are you sure your connection is not 100baseT half-duplex.

you can check Luci network->switch page or from ssh using swconfig command

# swconfig dev switch0 show | grep link
	blinkrate: 0
	link: port:0 link:down
	link: port:1 link:up speed:100baseT full-duplex 
	link: port:2 link:up speed:100baseT full-duplex txflow rxflow 
	link: port:3 link:up speed:100baseT full-duplex txflow rxflow 
	link: port:4 link:down
	link: port:5 link:up speed:1000baseT full-duplex txflow rxflow auto

Aha - I think the issue is my AT&T router. By changing the MAC address of the WAN interface on the R7800, I'm up to 650Mb!

How does changing the MAC address help with speeds? My current R7800 WiFi speed is horrible compared to my LAN connection.