Is Broadcom and Realtek mini pcie cards still not recommended for x86 devices?

Hi everyone.
I am choosing a mini pcie wifi cards for my x86 machine and it will power on 24/7.
And here's the ac mini pcie cards I can found in the local store and should be support ac mode:

1)BCM4322
2)BCM94352HMB
3)RTL8821AE

However when I search about these models, I found a post said that they are a no go because of drivers. But after 5 years, is these models still terrible on driver support? And which of them you recommend?

Thanks.

It is still not recommended.

All in all, these cards are ancient. I don't know, if there was proper support for them at one point. At the very least there is no dedicated support at the current time and you would definitely be on your own, if any bugs arise.

I know that Realtek open sources out of kernel drivers that are unfortunately partly incompatible with the linux kernel. Look for rtw88 and rtw89 to see the effort by the community that goes into making realtek devices compatible with the linux kernel. While eventually, many devices may receive some form of basic/rudimentary support, since Realtek does not upstream wireless code into the kernel, there is a very significant time-lagg until in-kernel drivers reach maturity (- if at all).

Broadcom are worse, as they mostly provide binary blobs, since 802.11ac.

There are some fine 802.11ac devices, from various vendors and manufacturers. If it's Linux and you want your card to support more than just client mode and if you want wifi 6 (802.11ax), Qualcomm and Mediatek are the way to go though.

3 Likes

Hi.
I second @ThiloteE's choice of Qualcomm or Mediatek.

A comment about wifi card on x86. I'm also running a x86 as main router. I had a wifi card in it, but I removed it after a few months: the reason was heat dissipation. So I prefer to run a separate AP when it is necessary (I'm poorly using wifi). If you want a full time access (lot of devices) than yes you may consider a wifi card as a good option.

1 Like

Thanks, that's informative.
I just found another ac card, how about Qualcomm's QCA6174A?

Thanks, I havent thought that heat is also a factor when running x86 machine, I will consider that.

Here, a short search:

https://forum.openwrt.org/search?q=QCA6174A
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/?h=v6.4-rc1&qt=grep&q=QCA6174