IPv6 on LAN (Dumb AP)

None of what you say is convincing in any way. IPv6 is substantially easier to set up. Plug in your device to a network with IPv6 router advertisements and it's connected, end of story.

Routers simply request a prefix just like an ipv4 router requests an IPv4 address... not more complicated, in many ways easier.

The biggest problem is people don't bother to learn the technology and make shitty business decisions like handing out only /64. This is regulatory problem IMHO, many ISPs do this out of desire to make the internet suck unless you pay more.

2 Likes

Yes, that is the way it should work. However, even not supported by OpenWrt with its default IPv6 client. Additionally, OpenWrt did not support IPv6-only scenarios for a long time. And do not ask the Internet community about RA Snooping aka IPv6 RA Guard … even CZ.NIC, the makers of Turris OS were over-challenged with IPv6 and teared down my IPv6 servers. It is complex. I do not suggest you should stay away from it. But it is complex, for sure. Personally, my dumb Wi-Fi Access Points have IPv6 enabled.

I ran my network IPv6 only for a full year, it was WAY easier than all the hassles of ipv4. I only switched back to dual-stack because my kids games are still living in the past and don't support ipv6 yet. It worked flawlessly for android tablets, phones, linux desktops, windows, macOS. It also solve ALL my one-way audio or failed / dropped calls on VOIP problems. It's NOT complex, it's just different from what people are used to. Reading up on how it works goes a long way.

Also RA guard needs to be implemented in switches, since there's nothing a router can do to prevent something on the LAN from broadcasting RA to other LAN clients. It is in fact implemented in my TP-Link jetstream core switch which cost ~$125 or so.

Also thanks to ipv6 I am able to run several minor servers on my home network, a mumble server, a kerberos protected NFS server, and etc. I can reach them from anywhere that I have ipv6, which is +50% of home networks.

Also to get OpenWrt to handle RA only networks, I think you just turn off the dhcpv6 client and turn on kernel accept_ra flag, the RA will cause the interface to pick up the prefix and generate a SLAAC.

Yes, that works. But then you do not have DNS or NTP on your OpenWrt (not automatic software update and so on).

VoIP based on SIP/SDP/RTP? Congrats. In my case, it introduced horrible new issues. Yes, I fixed them. However, that was way more difficult to understand. And actually, I was not able to convince the folks of my VoIP/SIP server to change its default. Consequently, everyone who stumbles over that has to find that switch first.

Yes, I run my own PBX and just connecting to it via ipv6 = zero audio problems.

I'm not sure what you're saying. first off if the router is a different machine, then DNS and NTP should be on that machine probably? Also I believe the busybox NTP server is independent of the dhcpv6 client.

DNS is provided by dnsmasq which is also independent of the dhcpv6 client. I'm confused.

I am about the NTP client on OpenWrt. As linked, it did not pick the DNS-AAAA record.
I am about DNS resolution; with just accept_ra, OpenWrt does not learn/extract any DNS server (from the RA or DHCPv6).

Happy guy you are. As stated, I had zillion of issues, for example if the client is behind a firewall but advertised ‘wrong’ ports = not opened ports in SIP and SDP. IPv6 is not the holy grail for VoIP/SIP because there are still firewalls around.