Iptmon: simple iptables-based bandwidth monitoring

Unfortunately it's not compatible with flow offloading
You can rework @jow 's nlbwmon

Yes, thanks, this was brought to my attention already. I will add a note in the readme about that.
I am familiar with nlbwmon, and at first I did try to build iptmon as a sort of 'extension' by running nlbw periodically and parsing the output - but decided against that approach for several reasons.

I am not really familiar with flow offloading (I'm working on x86 where it's not really necessary), but out of curiosity how does nlbwmon work with flow offloading? If I understand correctly, with this feature enabled, netfilter does not see the traffic at all. Maybe I'll need to do a little more reading...

nlbw uses netfilter conntrack accounting, and
this patch takes care of accounting on offloaded connections.

Interesting, thanks for sharing this link.
May need to pick up some embedded router hardware to test flow offloading.

You can just enable flow offloading on your x86, no need to get a router

I see why flow offloading it's missing in my config now after going through the LuCI code.

I'm using a non-OpenWrt kernel because I'm running in Docker:

This has already caused some unexpected results, as one might imagine. Adding to the list :sweat_smile:

Hello thank you for this very good plugin I am enjoying it's exactly what I was looking for, only thing that I would add is options for displaying packet graph and option to rename graphs :slight_smile: I am always confused which one is upload and download :slight_smile: I am looking at the moment for the code in system so I can disable it manualy but it will be great if all can do it by unchecking something :slight_smile: I am only interested in bandwidth in MB :slight_smile:

Hi @Liptovan, glad you found it useful.

I understand your confusion re: rx and tx, but I opted not to make it configurable because IMO the flow direction in all bandwidth monitoring tools should be indicated from the perspective of the router. This means that if you are watching a YouTube video on host my-laptop, for example, you will see this data flow in tx_my-laptop. I think that the option to reverse the direction would only increase confusion.

Re: packet graphs, these come by default in luci-app-statistics under /cgi-bin/luci/admin/statistics/graph/iptables/mangle-iptmon_tx / rx for transmit and receive. I didn't look in to disabling them, but I think it would require some code changes to this package.

All iptmon does is manage the appropriate iptables rules to be able to monitor and identify traffic; it can't decide what the actual monitoring tools show through the UI.

1 Like

Oh i didn't know it's complicated like that :slight_smile: I checked filesystem and I didn't found easy way to do it .. thx for information! :slight_smile:

Finally got around to adding support for static hosts.
Now any hosts defined in /etc/hosts or /tmp/hosts/* will be automatically included in the iptmon chains.

New release v0.1.0 ready for download.

1 Like

minor glitch @ master

dbg
+ eval '/usr/sbin/iptables -t mangle :iptmon_rx - [0:0]'
+ /usr/sbin/iptables -t mangle :iptmon_rx - '[0:0]'
Bad argument `:iptmon_rx'
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
+ eval '/usr/sbin/iptables -t mangle -D FORWARD -j iptmon_rx'
+ /usr/sbin/iptables -t mangle -D FORWARD -j iptmon_rx
+ eval '/usr/sbin/iptables -t mangle -D iptmon_rx -s 127.0.0.1/32 -m comment --comment rx_localhost -j RETURN'
+ /usr/sbin/iptables -t mangle -D iptmon_rx -s 127.0.0.1/32 -m comment --comment rx_localhost -j RETURN
+ IFS=' 	
'
+ /usr/sbin/iptables -t mangle -A iptmon_rx -s -j RETURN -m comment --comment rx_
Bad argument `RETURN'
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
+ printf 'added iptmon entry for %s %s\n'  
added iptmon entry for  
+ IFS= read -r host
+ eval dnsmasq_add ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff ::1 localhost
+ dnsmasq_add ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff ::1 localhost
+ mac=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Oh, I suspect it's because there are some newlines in your /etc/hosts.

Can you share the output of:

cat /etc/hosts /tmp/hosts/* | grep '^$' | wc -l

If it's not 0, I forgot to account for newlines in those files, and that's probably what's causing the bug.

1 Like

bingo! ( was 1 )

???

"init")
		backup_orig
		init_chain
		finalize_chain
		commit
		load_static_hosts
		cat /tmp/dhcp.leases | cut -d' ' -f2,3 | while read tMAC tIP; do
			$0 arp-add "$tMAC" "$tIP"
		done

Should be fixed now. Just pushed v0.1.1.
Needed to use a smarter grep expression to handle both newlines and comments.

Could you give it a try?

1 Like

yup... better...

Great, thanks for the feedback!

actually are we not hitting the counters now?

edit false alarm my bad

old

-A INPUT -j iptmon_input
-A OUTPUT -j iptmon_output
-A iptmon_input -j RETURN
-A iptmon_output -j RETURN
-A iptmon_rx -s 10.2.3.1/32 -m comment --comment rx_rpi-dca6325631 -j RETURN
-A iptmon_tx -d 10.2.3.1/32 -m comment --comment tx_rpi-dca6325631 -j RETURN

new (master)

-A INPUT -j iptmon_input
-A FORWARD -j iptmon_tx
-A FORWARD -j iptmon_rx
-A OUTPUT -j iptmon_output
-A iptmon_input -j RETURN
-A iptmon_output -j RETURN
-A iptmon_rx -s 127.0.0.1/32 -m comment --comment rx_localhost -j RETURN
-A iptmon_rx -s 10.2.3.1/32 -m comment --comment rx_rpi-dca6325631 -j RETURN
-A iptmon_tx -d 127.0.0.1/32 -m comment --comment tx_localhost -j RETURN
-A iptmon_tx -d 10.2.3.1/32 -m comment --comment tx_rpi-dca6325631 -j RETURN

Hm, it shouldn't have affected the rule generation.
I'd try to reload the firewall rules manually:

# iptmon init
# kill -HUP `pidof dnsmasq`
1 Like

ok, cool... must have done something whacky... i'll sort it out!

iptmon sounds interesting but it seems I am too a neebie to understand everything.
I have OpenWRT 19.07.7
How can I check that:

iptmon depends on dnsmasq version >=2.80-16, which merged a PR to enable script-arp so make sure your dnsmasq package is up-to-date.

If you are using luci-app-statistics prior to git commit 4778aa6 you will need to upgrade as this commit merged a PR to fix the ip6tables firewall statistics view in LuCI.

dnsmasq -v gives me 2.80 but not much details more for example