Iptables problems on match type

Hi,

I'm porting Docker CE to openwrt (much more lightweight than boot2docker which use Tiny Core Linux. So far I've been able to rebuild openwrt with the required modules and I can finally run a container. BUT.

I need to run a registry, which will be spawn by an orchestrator (Docker Swarm) and then there is the problem :

I need to get match for state & ipvs working with iptable but it's not found. Docker swarm create rules to forward everything through overlay network & virtual IPs.

I don't see any module available for ipvs, is there a way for me to get it ? I already added the related kernel module now I need the user space stuff.

For state type it's a little bit different, because it is replaced by conntrack --ctstate (apparently). Unfortunatly I don't have the hand on the way Docker swarm manage its rules. Any way to get it back ? It's already there. Just not working ^^

edit: there are the two commands that fails :
iptables failed: iptables --wait -I DOCKER-INGRESS -m state -p tcp --sport 80 --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

iptables --wait -t nat -A POSTROUTING -m ipvs --ipvs -d 10.0.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to-source 10.0.0.7

Sorry for the bad english, I'm french ^^

Thx for your help

-m state is deprecated and the legacy aliases are disabled in OpenWrt. You need to replace -m state with -m conntrack and --state with --ctstate.

4 Likes

Thx for your reply :slight_smile:

As said before, I have no control over the iptable commands, it's just the way Docker works so I can't change them. Is there anyway to put back the aliases ? It's just about a fair retro compatibility ^^ How can i put them back (I have restricted knowledge on Linux and i'm more like a C# dev) ?

Anything about the xt_ipvs extension ? Could I just compile iptables with static link enabled so everything would be packed in a standalone binary ?

Ps : I know openwrt is not meant to be used as a I'm doing it. I don't care about storage or disk footprint, i'm interested by the low RAM requirements. Boot2docker takes up to 2048mb with docker-machine. An initramfs with nothing running x64 version of tiny core linux on hyper-v wont even boot under 256mb ram. It-s more than I can afford.

My goal is to provide some lab appliance for test environments with a basic orchestration, just like a dev alike private cloud (I plan to do the same thing with k3s over openwrt which is a lightweight Kubernetes port).

Thx :blush:

Edit package/network/utils/iptables/Makefile and remove the -DNO_LEGACY line, then rebuild iptables using make package/iptables/{clean,compile} V=s

Thx :slight_smile: Compiling right now ! Will this address my ipvs match as well ?

I answered my own question, it does not.
Does anyone has an idea to make ipvs matches available with openwrt ? I really don't have a clue on how I could make it works since it seems there is no package at all for it :confused:

I'm also looking for a solution, running OpenWRT 22 Turris OS 6.2.

Welcome to the community!

• A solution for what - this?
  • :spiral_notepad: [Official] OpenWrt 22 doesn't have iptables installed [by default]

(If you have a new issue, you may wish to create a thread.)

I'm looking for a solution to the missing iptables ipvs extension in OpenWRT. But I've already identified the cause of it. The iptables Makefile doesn't include the compiled library as a package. I'm currently investigating if the issue can be resolved by adding a new package with the library or if there are further requirements, issues that arise.

Fyi, here is the GitHub issue #12028 I opened about it.