Ipq806x NSS build (Netgear R7800 / TP-Link C2600 / Linksys EA8500)

Hello,
i'm building master with the very same config i used with previous master, but i'm getting an incredible error on a package that i expect has nothing to do with NSS (python pycparser), but maybe any of you saw something similar.. i can't sort this out sadly..
Thanks

WARNING: pip is configured with locations that require TLS/SSL, however the ssl module in Python is not available.
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")': /simple/ply/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")': /simple/ply/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")': /simple/ply/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")': /simple/ply/
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")': /simple/ply/
Could not fetch URL https://pypi.org/simple/ply/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='pypi.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /simple/ply/ (Caused by SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")) - skipping
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement ply==3.11 (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for ply==3.11
make[3]: *** [Makefile:48: /home/massi/rutto/openwrt/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/pypi/pycparser-2.21/.built] Error 1
time: package/feeds/packages/python-pycparser/compile#0.53#0.02#8.05

on my ea7500 hostapd still acts up quite a bit, ct and non ct. i'd be glad to test any mods done to the drivers to see what happens

I have little idea, but I have been working for 69 days, that only happens to me sometimes.

@ACwifidude Hi, I am using the 22.03 build and was wondering if you could add the kmod-usb-printer package to your repo as well. There was a post from March that let me think it might already be there but it does not exist in the repo.

Either way, thanks for your builds! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has anyone got VHT160 working on the R7800 with the latest builds? I’ve tried setting channel to 36, 100 and a few various others without the 5GHz radio showing up. Have waiting a good amount of time as well without any luck.

Anybody on recent builds 22.03 with a lot of devices on the network? Currently hitting stability issues with ath10k-ct (lots of firmware crashes), want to try out ath10k as well soon.

Flashed the R7800-20221223-Stable2203NSS build on my R7800 and it's working well. I am curious whether the build with ath10k name has a better performance than the one that I flashed? Are the ath10k drivers better or what is the difference?

If I want to try it, can I do a dirty flash on top of my build (by using the sysupgrade bin) or a clean flash is required?

Thank you for a wonderful build and much appreciate it.

Yes, when I set VHT160, the 5 GHz radio doesn't show up. Went back to 80 Mhz. Is the VHT160 issue with only this build or openwrt in general on R7800?

You can just sysupgrade and keep settings. Some clients like ath10k, some clients like -ct. I haven’t had an issue with ath10k-ct. On 5ghz only I have Apple devices. 2.4ghz only I have IoT devices.

1 Like

Thanks. Do you know why VHT160 doesn't work on r7800? Is this because of -ct? If yes then I can flash the ath10k?

new_year

2 Likes

What is “a lot”? I have a mix of Apple devices, HP laptops, Samsung A32, Chromecast, LG smart tv, Yamaha MusicCast speaker, Shelly IoT devices, Philips Hue, Somfy TaHoma Switch, airconditioning. I tried -ct in the past. My Apple devices weren’t performing really well. I switched to plain ath10k and had no issues. After a year I tried -ct again, saw no improvement so switched back to plain ath10k and never looked back.

2 Likes

You say that -ct has issues with Apple devices and @ACwifidude says that his apple devices are working very well with -ct on 5 GHz. Very confusing results to come to a conclusion.

Fortunately, I don't have any Apple devices as I hate them with a passion for their closed ecosystem and whatnot but that's a discussion for another day... lol

For me, the default WiFi driver (-ct) is working very well with my Android/Chromebook/Windows/Fire devices. The only issue I have is that I am NOT able to use the 160 Channel width on 5 GHz.

It's about 32 devices on the network on peak usage and I see firmware crashes and WiFi problems with "-ct" driver that's used by default (and devices losing internet).

So I'm trying to make a ath10k build of my own (openwrt 22.03.2 release + NSS patches + customization) and added this commit to switch it: https://github.com/SkrilaxCZ/openwrt/commit/86db5e705524c9a697671b460615d70f1a39a8e0 but the router ends up getting no wireless (radio not showing up message). Is there anything I missed in the config or settings to make the switch from ath10k-ct to ath10k?

Hard to tell why you don’t get a working wireless with ath10k. I always clone ACwifidudes repo, use the diffconfig for ath10k he created and base my changes on that diffconfig. Works for me the last 2 years. Regarding your number of 32 WiFi clients, I believe there is a -ct firmware that has a limit on that number of devices. You’d need a different -ct firmware then. Or, try the plain ath10k driver/firmware. Mileage varies on both ath10k drivers and “the same” WiFi clients…

@ACwifidude sorry for bothering you, have you any plan to rebase master soon? i still can't build python with your master, but i can build it with "real" master so i tried rebasing but i hit a wall building nss-drv so i'm just hoping in you :slight_smile:
Thanks

1 Like

Just add the following settings in your diffconfig. You will get working ath10k wireless.

CONFIG_TARGET_ipq806x_generic_DEVICE_netgear_xr500=y
CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_PACKAGES_ipq806x_generic_DEVICE_netgear_xr500="-kmod-ath10k-ct -ath10k-firmware-qca9984-ct kmod-ath10k ath10k-firmware-qca9984"
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-ath10k=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_ath10k-firmware-qca9984=y

The mainline ath10k firmware/driver claim the support of "Maximum associated stations in AP mode: 512". Of course, I would expect much less.

Hi

I increased for ECM a number of flags to 4 to debug why macvlan interfaces are not enabled

ECM_NSS_IPV4_DEBUG_LEVEL=4 \
            ECM_NSS_PORTED_IPV4_DEBUG_LEVEL=4 \
            ECM_NSS_COMMON_DEBUG_LEVEL=4 \
            ECM_TRACKER_DEBUG_LEVEL=4 \
            ECM_STATE_DEBUG_LEVEL=4 \
            ECM_INIT_DEBUG_LEVEL=4 \
            ECM_FRONT_END_IPV4_DEBUG_LEVEL=4

but can't see any TRACE / DEBUG messages showing ... anything I am missing to get increased number of messages ?

thank you

weird! ... i patched the ecm Makefile (not the one from openwrt) with the debug flags and now is spouting out the logs... ... MACVLAN mode 2 is not supported for acceleration only private mode