Ipq806x NSS build (Netgear R7800 / TP-Link C2600 / Linksys EA8500)

Hi @vochong,

What you have encountered is the NSS core dumps (and also likely the NSS firmware lockup ... see below), which the NSS driver will in-turn trigger a kernel panic. Unfortunately we cannot do anything about this. It's odd that you only see this with the schedutil governor. I have two ipq8065 routers (Netgear R7800 and Askey RT4230W Rev 6) running my custom 21.02 NSS builds, and using the schedutil governor. So far, I'm seeing good uptime (> 30 days) for my routers.

I do encounter the occasional reboot due to (I think) the NSS firmware locking up, which likely resulted in the watch-dog mechanism rebooting the router. Such reboots will not have any ramoops logs. It is rare for me tho. if the NSS core clocks is forced to it's max frequency (800MHz for ipq8065.)

Unfortunately we do not have the source to the NSS firmware to fix such issues, so we just have to live with it.

2 Likes

@ACwifidude : upgraded to your Latest Master Build, speed seems good now. Thanks

1 Like

@quarky

Thanks a lot for the clear explanations. I also had encountered random crashes without ramoops dumps when previously using the ondemand governor. Your watchdog explanation for it totally makes sense.

Regarding the frequency of failures, perhaps QSDK 11.2 used in your build may work a bit better than the QSDK 10.0 used in ACwifidude's builds.

Talking here about random crashes, I've found out that every time I plug in a network cable to the PC network port the R7800 reboots. I don't do that often and it may seem like a random crash.
It's running the latest master build. Can anyone else try to unplug and replug a LAN cable to see if the router would reboot.

I would think this is unlikely. I was previously using QSDK 6 NSS firmwares runnng on lede 17.01 branch. I remember lengthy router up times as well then, as long as I set the NSS code core to 800MHz. I do occasionally see a random reboot, but it's not common.

echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_governor
echo 1725000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq
echo 1725000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_max_freq
echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_min_freq
echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_min_freq

So is this still the best option? or better to put it in high performance?

These are the defaults for the r7800 so you can skip these lines. My build sets the min to 600000 to avoid the 384000 upscaling issue. You can set the min to 800000 if you desire and adjust the up threshold for when it upscales (20-35 is popular with 800000 as the min).

This is the build default:

echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
echo 25 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
echo 10 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_down_factor

thanks friend. I understand that I don't need to put those values ​​either since they are default, right? Thank you.

1 Like

What sort of throughput to you get on this build? I’m still only getting about 450 mbps down.

Just tested the firmware EA7500V1-20220704-MasterNSS-sysupgrade.bin and found 1 issue:
after reset to factory or setup lan(wan) info,you will not get ip address from wifi or lan ethernet after rebooting

on Fast.com anything between 500mps and 950mps, but in not convinced that its accurate.

on Waveform

Waveform has been giving me 400-500 too. Speed test and iperf have been giving full line rate.

Your latency looks great. Try another speed test - your internet should feel nice and quick with those numbers.

@jack338c - any indication for why it isn’t giving IP addresses?

Yes, all working well, only thing ive found UPNP doesnt work on Master, we use this as we mulitple gaming consoles, but appart from that all good so far.

Keep up the good work

1 Like

Is ramoops fully functional in this build or do I need to "activate" it in order to be able to save the crash logs? I see that the kmod-ramoops and pstore are included in the build. I am still having issues getting the RT4230W to fully work for me with this build. I am getting a crash usually about 10 minutes after boot or so. Hoping to be able to see if the logs show an issue. I have tried mounting the pstore partition and it shows up but when I look in the file location there is nothing to see. Thanks.

I didn't experience random crashes when unplugging/plugging cables connecting laptops to the LAN port of my r7800 router. I did the tests using the July 4 master snapshot.

1 Like

ACwifidude must be a true American patriot, building a nice July 4 master release for us (Americans in particular) to celebrate the freedom of tinkering with our routers at will :slight_smile: Thanks!

2 Likes

I'm getting 88% sirq usage while speedtesting with a PPPoE connection. Is that normal? Latest master build.

I still have Legacy rules detected in status->firewall.
@ACwifidude Is irqbalance enabled by default in your builds.

Do you have SQM enabled? Are you willing to share your /etc/config/sqm?

Irqbalance is not enabled by default. I always activate it, feel free to activate or not activate it. :sunglasses:

1 Like