Ipq806x NSS build (Netgear R7800 / TP-Link C2600 / Linksys EA8500)

Ok, I'm confused about what is going on and how I can help. I posted a log snipped of an 'out of memory' error which seems to correspond when I had wifi connectivity issues. Does it point to anything which could cause wifi traffic problems? When this happened, it disconnected then quickly reconnected (I was on 5Ghz). I can provide more info.
I am not doing anything strenuous on the router (no mounted file systems, VPN, samba or torrents or anything). I can start trying older NSS images to see if it was better at some point in the past as this does seem like a new development. The wired connections all seem fine. I have not noted any traffic issues or anything on the wired side. The 2.5GHz radio seems to be the most flaky. If I try to connect with my Moto One phone, it says 'Connected, No Internet' on the 2.5GHz radio but connects fine on the 5GHz. This is with the 4/11 image:
OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r16494+17-dcdafbfc1a / LuCI Master git-21.092.22207-70a7490
For my next trial, I will go back to the Feb 7 bin just to see if the 2.5GHz radio will work from my phone.

edit: Update. I figured out why it will not connect to the internet from my phone. It was assigning a 'randomized MAC' when connecting form 2.5GHz. I removed the blocked MAC and now I get internet on both 5GHz and 2.5GHz.
This still does not resolve the question of why I am getting an out of memory message in the log and why all 2.5GHz devices were offline earlier in the week.

New nss builds have been uploaded. Check if the they fix the torrent issue.

During the day I test it and comment on it in the next few days. thanks Kong. out of curiosity, what changes?

By the way I recently switched to non-ct build.Might fix you issue. But after initial flashing you need need to reboot one more time, as there is currently a little startup timing issues, when it creates the calibration file for the first time, which causes the 5G to be deactivated right after flashing. Once it is created there is no issue anymore.

1 Like

The low CPU frequencies should be disabled directly at DTS, but that is probably overkill.

I used to have a patch for tweaking the other parameters in my build, but recently switched to init script which enables setting the low limit.

And ansuel has made a PR about it.

1 Like

I always used the min frequency setting, just forgot to add it in the nss build, since this was taken from netgear firmware:-) If you look at etc/init.d/powerctl in netgear firmware, there is a long explanation why this is important. This was in there from the first gpl release they offered. The sysctl settings I added are important if you do memory intensive stuff, e.g. samba and torrenting, in that case there may not be enough memory for network stack + drivers, left for correct operation.

3 Likes

installed, kong. torrent enabled, let's see what happens. You missed installing the luci adblock.

is this still necessary?

init:
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_governor
ifconfig br-lan promisc
/usr/sbin/irqbalance

thank you !

Is this fit for ALL( EA7500 ea8500 R7800 )or only R7800?
thanks

it has been restarted again, at 2 hours. I removed everything from the start, what I had on, and it has restarted at 7 o'clock again. I deactivate the torrent again and test your image without torrent. The connections were about 1400. Actually my torrent is very light, only 2 simultaneous downloads, and sharing with a maximum of 5 peers per torrent, about 30 torrent, not much for a router like this to pull. I do not understand what happens.

Do you use nss qos? I assume the torrent client is connected via cable? What type of wan connection do you have, PPPOE or connected to cable modem? I see if I can setup a test system in order to capture a crash or reboot.

qos off, sqm off. synology torrent client. 600/600 mb pppoe connection.

cable torrent client yes. wan connected to ont, fiber to ethernet converter.

@KONG
I tested your new patch on my ea7500 after 10 housr with samba.found the Load Average will be very high (like 4.x),.luci menu works slowly and auto-reboot while uploading new image to flash

Would you please check above, I did some captures (using @xeonpj observation that it crashes with the torrent).

Also, if allow NSS cores frequency scaling - it would crash in minutes. With NSS cores set to max -> normal work from office with meetings, downloads, etc, works fine. I did download a 5Gb .iso from Microsoft (the W10Pro image) and it worked fine, but when my rsync picked it up -> crashed - but this was after 10-11 days uptime.

Seems to be an issue with the NSS - and some race conditions already fixed - but for sure there are more.

1 Like

I have noticed and when torrent is activated it reaches about 1300 connections, without torrent about 300. Could the cause be around here, if so, some software to test recurring connections on the router? this could lead to failure even faster, and speed up trial / error

I had my R7800 running since yesterday, 6 torrents in parallel, with about 2000 connections, no issue.

Are you sure you are using my build? NSS frequency scaling should not do anything as we have set it to static 800Mhz at least on the R7800 build, see nss0,nss1 :

I downloaded yesterday the one from the trunk of your website dated 24

Just a question: any chance to get jumbo frames on eth0 and eth1?

See if these posts above provide helpful crash logs:

1 Like