Ipq806x NSS build (Netgear R7800 / TP-Link C2600 / Linksys EA8500)

Disclaimer: I'm not really the person you want to talk to, but…

For that to be a realistic option, you'd want the TEW-827DRU v1 to be supported in vanilla OpenWrt (without NSS) in the first place. While this will require some work (look up the original submission attempt by its author), mainly to move it from legacy image recipes to the (new) generic image creation code and checking the status of the image format helpers, it should be possible. From there on, getting NSS support would be a lot easier to maintain forward.

This is a question I made some months ago, and this is the reasonable answer I received Ipq806x NSS build (Netgear R7800 / TP-Link C2600 / Linksys EA8500) - #1872 by motolav

1 Like

Hello Pattagghiu, I'm here for your help.
I'm Italian too, with a vlan tagged fiber (Aruba), and in big need to make my R7800 be able to run a network with a dumbAP and a couple of VLANs to provide connection to my neighbours.

Mi puoi aiutare? Mi pare che hai molto più chiaro di me come si fa sta roba!
Ti mando un messaggio privato?
Spero davvero di trovare qualcuno che mi dia qualche dritta...

I had tried a build (NSS 11.4 + K 5.15) where I kept the CPU scaling at performance, and set to a fixed rate, but was unsuccessful in that endeavor. I've mostly run fixed rates with my builds, as it's been the most stable.

my hunch is the 5.15 kernel is the killer here, NSS the victim.
@Mpilon

This seems to be the case even on 5.10. Not sure about 5.4 or 4.4. The last "officially supported" version was 4.4.60 and is the same kernel level used on Synology RT2600ac (where the 11.4 FW were pulled from).

To get a good overview of the 5ghz R7800 TX --> wireless client code, where could I start?

I know this has been gone over before but I'd like to take a system's -eye view of this process, with a possible goal of making some improvements.

I'm more of a systems engineer and decidedly not a wireless expert and want to look at that wireless TX path from a high altitude - 5000ft / 1524m.

thoughts?

May I ask, is this build ready for production use on a 1gbit connection, just doing PPPoE/NAT? WiFi not needed or used, that's all handled with APs. Currently I'm using an mt7621 device with @arinc9's optimizations, to terminate PPPoE over fiber, but I'd be pleased to get comparable hardware acceleration with a 1.4GHz cpu instead of 880MHz, and without sacrificing the ability to do traffic shaping.

2 Likes

Hello @everyone, I'm back after a very long period. But happy to be back, connected, and in a new home.
Yesterday I installed the latest non-CT openwrt-22.03-nss-qsdk10.0, and as usual my mild use is not (yet) triggering any reboot. But I'm willing to report if some strange behaviour happens.
For the moment I followed the suggestions in post #2 by @ACwifidude but if needed I can change things to test out things. Anything you want, really. You made this possible, and I can trade at least with some testing.

I'm on a PPPoE fiber connection (namely 1000dl 500ul).
Main router is R7800 for now with performance governor set in /etc/rc.local. No SQM for the moment.
But should I tick software and hardware flow offloading, in Network/Firewall for optimized performance?

I'd like all services of the network to be provided by R7800. Adguard, for example and other services coming in future.
DumbAP is a GL.inet AXT1800 (IPQ6000) set with "drop-in gateway" mode, for now. So not really a dumbAP. Only acting like, since it uses ARP spoofing. But I can reset it as a simple dumbAP at any time.

@D43m0n and @pattagghiu, but possibly anyone with more knowledge than me...can I ask you a big favour? Can you teach me how to set a segmentation of my network?
I read you do it on your routers as daily drivers.
I'd like to set it in order to provide connectivity to my two neighbours by using virtual LANs, either with DSA or with swconfig... The two Guest WLANs should be one from the R7800 and the other from the AXT1800, but with R7800 acting like the only DHCP server.

This would basically serve us to share the expense of the contract, but I absolutely don't want their traffic to mix in one single LAN with my traffic.

I'm spending my nights awake since more than a week, but clearly I'm not making it.
For example does DSA work on the IPQxxx devices under the "Bridge VLAN filtering" section? And how do I use it?

Hope you can help me.
Meanwhile @ACwifidude @quarky @sppmaster @qosmio and others engaged in developing, if you need me to set anything on the R7800 for a few days to log things, just tell me what to do and I'll be glad.
That issue with PPPoE and cpu spikes in WAN-LAN traffic, perhaps? Can I provide you logs?

As always sincerely struck by the abilities in this forum,
Gabo

Is this considered unmaintained by now? Reboots no fix? Is there a better device thats NSS accelerated stock?

1 Like

More than maintained indeed. Last "noob" images are from as soon as 13 days ago. On the bleeding edge (NSS fw ver.11) there's more than a few of volunteers working constantly to make it stable on the new 5.15 kernel. Reboots can be reduced massively by following the suggestions in post #2.

1 Like

Is this a serious question? This build is highly maintained (under 2 weeks since last build), and the discussion shows the extensive activity by others to keep debugging and improving. My personal r7800 uptime is only interrupted when I perform maintenance (updates for example).

3 Likes

I'm sorry if I gave that impression thats not what I meant.. I was just interested in overall stability report and level of maintenance.

So the reboots can be reduced, but of course not guaranteed. The 78 days uptime sounds good. But what triggers it? Full load?

Should I run it on an AP too or would the benefits diminish as soon as routing and firewall is handled elsewhere?

1 Like

Welcome back!

This should be a stable setting, since the CPU's are always running on 1700MHz, as long as they don't scale up/down, you're most likely not seeing an unexpected reboot because of CPU scaling.

No you shouldn't tick those boxes in the firewall section. The hardware offloading in that section is for Mediatek devices I believe. NSS builds on this platform (IPQ806x) have hardware offloading always enabled. The software offloading is kind of pointless if you've already got hardware offloading. The software offloading is a compromise if you don't have hardware offloading in your device. Hardware offloading is always more performant than software offloading.

I have AdGuardHome running too on my R7800. I've got a USB-stick inserted. All logs and config is stored on that. There's a great tutorial for that too.

I've learned how to do that when I watched an excellent video on that topic on YouTube from @onemarcfifty. He has more great video's about OpenWRT by the way, you might want to check them out.

Sounds like that is perfectly doable when you follow the YouTube video I mentioned above.

About your question on how to achieve such a setup, you might get more help involved when you open a topic about that in case you can't get it working in the Installing and Using OpenWRT section.

2 Likes

Ahah! That's exactly what I'm watching these days, on a loop. He's gorgeous at explaining complex things!
Can you confirm me there is nothing wrong with this platform (the R7800) that would lead to errors and faults? I'm getting a lot of weird behaviour with the DHCP disappearing for the interfaces running on the vlan. Furthermore, I never see the tick box to "bridge interfaces" on the R7800, since 21.02, so I don't know how to bridge them.
Is it only me?
I undestood that DSA only looks available on the router, but is broken.
Or simply my brain is broken. :sweat_smile:

There are some differences in luci between 21.02 and 22.03. The R7800 does not have DSA support yet, for now we need stick to swconfig. There is nothing different in getting that working or not with an official OpenWRT release or an NSS build. If you need help on multiple vlan, ssid and dumb AP’s you’ll get more attention in that other section of the forum.

3 Likes

Rebased the 22.03 build today. Has all the 22.03.2 security features plus the new mac80211 version. Enjoy!

Hopefully will have some time this weekend to update master.

9 Likes

i want a 5.15 cooked by you lol :joy:

3 Likes

Thanks for everything you do! @ACwifidude

1 Like

Hello guys,
Is there any chance that th NSS offloading will get into the official OpenWrt builds as well ? I would gladly use your build, but it's missing ebtables and some other packages that rely on kernel modules so unfortunately I have to stick to the stock one, where I cannot get speeds more than 300Mbps. With I was getting 700-800 easily, so thanks for the great work, folks!

Never going to happen.

That's sad .
Any chance to compile ebtables into this build as well ? :slight_smile: