Ipq806x NSS build (Netgear R7800 / TP-Link C2600 / Linksys EA8500)

Today’s master build has the pppoe fixes. Enjoy!

6 Likes

Fwiw I tried this build and while the nlbwmon mem alloc fails are reduced over the prior build, syslog showed it still failing.

Edit: this one:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/ipq806x-nss-build-netgear-r7800-tp-link-c2600-linksys-ea8500/82525/2528?u=mpilon
M.

22.03 update, coming soon?

Thanks!

@Mpilon @sppmaster

My build automatically sets 'net.core.rmem_max' to 4194304. You still need to edit your nlbwmon config to set its 'netlink_buffer_size' to 4194304 as well. You can do it in LUCI or using command line, then restart the nlbwmon service. I have tried many different such settings, and only setting 4194304 for both net.core.rmem_max and netlink_buffer_size would get rid of the mem alloc failure for nlbwmon, at least on my setup. The rule in Linux is that any unused memory is wasted memory, and we have lots of it in R7800.

# cat /etc/config/nlbwmon
config nlbwmon
	option netlink_buffer_size '4194304'
	option refresh_interval '30s'
	option database_directory '/var/lib/nlbwmon'
# /etc/init.d/nlbwmon restart

Might not be a bad idea to make that config file change part of your build / fix (or a default), or at least write that config file change to syslog when oom hits - let the naive user know what's needed.

Thanks for the build with ksmbd. It's OK and working and I can use Network Shares now. Although maybe in the future I can build my own version but now you just saved my time and I needed working PPPoE NSS.
Regarding option netlink_buffer_size '4194304' I've already changed it right after installing the build you provided. It's working for me now. But it needed mentioning for those who didn't know it.
Still I cannot make a successful Reverse SSH connection even with the forwarding rule added to the Firewall settings. Obviously I miss something and I opened a separate thread to not spam the NSS one.

Just curious: have you tried NSS fq-codel on this new build?

If you search OpenWrt Forums, there are many posts complaining about nlbwmon issues and suggested setttings/workarounds. I tried them all but none of them worked for me. As such, the settings that seemed to work for me may not work for you or others. It's people's choice to play with whatever workaround or setting that may work for them. Using OpenWrt builds (especially non-mainstream builds like these NSS builds) implies that each of us would be willing to take risks and laugh in the face of random crashes or whatever issues that may arise. It's the joy and the warm feeling that we have learned something new each day that keep us going. And as a matter of fact, we can only learn new things and grow by bumping into failures and problems along the way.

2 Likes

Sorry, I haven't tried the NSS fq-codel with builds using the new PPPoE patches. I have decently fast WAN throughput with low latency (around 4ms over Ethernet). Coupled with fast NSS-offloading, the slight increase in latencies under heavy traffic does not really affect me to any noticeable extent.

I'll definitely adjust my expectations.

Anyone losing Internet connectivity with latest builds.
@vochong After 3 days of use of your build I lost connection to the Internet twice. I don't know what's going on.
Now I've flashed latest master from @ACwifidude to see if it will cause the same disconnection.

I have a little doubt, these compilations are made to take advantage of the nss cores, but if I want to use sqm it only works with the sqm nss script (I would like to use layer.qos to prioritize packages),
So what's the point of using these builds, if not I can harness the full power of using sqm (layes.qos, piece of cake, etc) both in these builds and in the original openwrt builds?
PS I have a netgear xr500

I only set up PPPoE server to check whether tishipp's patches worked with NSS offloading for PPPoE WAN, and ran the constant traffic test (about 600 Mbps) through the PPPoE connection for about 30 minutes, so I don't know how reliable it will work over extended periods of time. My actual ISP is a WISP and it does not use PPPoE.

1 Like

Don't expect hardware to be able to do anything software can do. Fast (hardware) or flexible (software), it's your choice.

The main advantage of using NSS builds is to be able to get consistently faster speeds over WIFI, since hostapd does not have to compete with Netfilter (and SQM if used) for CPU time.

Don't expect perfection in life as it does not exist. You always lose something by getting something else. It's also kind of "Beauty is only in the eye of the beholder."

1 Like

Dear ACwifidude and / or Vochong,
hello and I hope that all is well with all. I just installed Vochong's latest build and everything is great.
One request that I asked of ACwifidude is to modify his build so that I can install dnsmasq-full.

kmod-ipt-ipset

is missing from both of you guy's otherwise excellent builds. I am asking for this ( dnsmasq-full ) because I use AdGuardHome and dnsmasq-full works best for that componenet.
Here is the readout below when attempting to install dnsmasq-full

opkg install dnsmasq-full --download-only && opkg remove dnsmasq && opkg install dnsmasq-full --cache . && rm *.ipk
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03-SNAPSHOT/packages/arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4/base/dnsmasq-full_2.86-14_arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4.ipk
Collected errors:
 * pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency kernel (= 5.10.136-1-b56436ec677f3ad827467161867143cf) for kmod-ipt-ipset
 * pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for kmod-ipt-ipset found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for dnsmasq-full:
 *      kernel (= 5.10.136-1-b56436ec677f3ad827467161867143cf)
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package dnsmasq-full.

Thanks and Peace and God Bless

@ACwifidude tried to avoid iptables-related packages in 22.03 and master branches so packages such as banip, bcp38 etc.. were removed from the diffconfig. The current version of dnsmasq-full still depends of a few iptables-related packages so it's certain that he will not include it in the default diffconfig.

I will build a 22.03-based image with adguardhome and dnsmasq-full for you tomorrow. My machine can build it very quickly if the tools and toolchain were already in place.

2 Likes

Hi @ACwifidude

Your new commits include PPPoE offloading, ds-lite offloading and l2tpv2 offloading. However, your diffconfig files don't have the necessary packages for ds-lite offloading and l2tpv2 offloading, so your recent 22.03 and master images only have PPPoE offloading. You may want to add these additional packages in the diffconfig files for ds-lite and l2tpv2 offloading:

CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-qca-nss-drv-tunipip6=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-qca-nss-drv-l2tpv2=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-pppol2tp=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_ds-lite=y
1 Like

Can you build an image with ksmbd packages based on master if it won't take much time. I want to try it because 22.03 version loses Internet connectivity (that's worse than the random reboots) in my case and I still want to use Network Shares.
Thanks in advance.

The issue with the random reboots is really weird. I've updated two R7800s to the latest @ACwifidude master build from 20220816 and the reboots are back on both of them (one uses pppoe).
At the same time two others are running the older master build from 20220802 and both don't have a single reboot and run strong for more than 15 days.
The routers that now run the current master build 20220816 were previously on master from 20220802 and both run for more than 12 days without a single reboot.
I'll try it for a few days more and if the random reboots continue I'll switch back to the build from 20220802 to see what will happen.

Thank you very much - Vochong - I truly appreciate you being kind enough to build that version for me. Actually, I install AdguardHome myself from the main source from the product's home page. I prefer to install AdguardHome in this manner.
Peace
PS -
I will not be asking you for custom builds - even though you were kind enough to offer me one here. I fear that I may have opened the floodgates for others - here on this thread - .. trying to burn you out with incessant and undue requests for features. Please forgive me

I have noticed an improvement in reboots when making adjustments to my saturated 2.4ghz network. I have 3 webcams on that network and other devices apart. It already arrived after 20 days and without any problem.