Ipq806x NSS build (Netgear R7800 / TP-Link C2600 / Linksys EA8500)

Hello. How do you enbale SQM? Sorry for the noob quesiton. The first post mentions configuring SQM through Luci does't work. I'm not sure how to make a custom config.

Just scroll down to the second post.
It's right there ...

Ok. Do I copy and paste the whole command with the adjusted download and upload or is it line by line?

@vochong would it be possible to download your build to deploy it on my R7800s please ?

I’ll rebase the builds with the pppoe additions in the next 1-2 days! Glad to hear the results look good!

2 Likes

Anyone here using usb devices and network sharing?
I want to install ksmbd but I get this.

Can it be resolved without the need to compile my own firmware.
For samba4 there is no such limitation but I want to use a lightweight version if possible.
If I'm not mistaken the Kong's R7800 build has the ksmbd built-in.

@vochong Thanks for the link.
I've read several other articles about Reverse SSH Tunneling and I've made a successful connection from the router A that is behind CGNAT to the R7800 that has public IP with ssh -N -T -R 40022:192.168.1.1:22 root@my.server.ip.
I've made a successful SSH reverse connection from the R7800 to router A with ssh localhost -p 40022 too.
But when I try to connect to the R7800 port 40022 from the outside network (Internet) in order to reach to the router A port 22 the connection is refused. Obviously I miss something here. Can anyone advise?
I've enabled Gateway Ports option.

@sppmaster,

I've just built a NSS image that is rebased with the today's latest 22.03 commit HEAD (including the update to the new Linux kernel 5.10.136). It has the following commits:

• Latest ath10k firmware v157 for R7800
  • Tishipp's patches for the NSS-offloading for PPPoE
  • Rmem fix for your nlbwmon issue
  • Including ksmbd packages
    CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-fs-ksmbd=y
    CONFIG_PACKAGE_ksmbd-server=y
    CONFIG_PACKAGE_luci-app-ksmbd=y
1 Like

@sppmaster

Create a port-forwarding rule (firewall -> forwards). You can use any unused port number for the External port.

Protocol (TCP) / Source Zone (wan) / External Port (22004) ==> Destination zone (lan) / Internal IP address (192.168.1.1) / Internal port (40022)

1 Like

@sunfire

You can use the following image, it has all the updates as of today:

1 Like

Today’s master build has the pppoe fixes. Enjoy!

6 Likes

Fwiw I tried this build and while the nlbwmon mem alloc fails are reduced over the prior build, syslog showed it still failing.

Edit: this one:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/ipq806x-nss-build-netgear-r7800-tp-link-c2600-linksys-ea8500/82525/2528?u=mpilon
M.

22.03 update, coming soon?

Thanks!

@Mpilon @sppmaster

My build automatically sets 'net.core.rmem_max' to 4194304. You still need to edit your nlbwmon config to set its 'netlink_buffer_size' to 4194304 as well. You can do it in LUCI or using command line, then restart the nlbwmon service. I have tried many different such settings, and only setting 4194304 for both net.core.rmem_max and netlink_buffer_size would get rid of the mem alloc failure for nlbwmon, at least on my setup. The rule in Linux is that any unused memory is wasted memory, and we have lots of it in R7800.

# cat /etc/config/nlbwmon
config nlbwmon
	option netlink_buffer_size '4194304'
	option refresh_interval '30s'
	option database_directory '/var/lib/nlbwmon'
# /etc/init.d/nlbwmon restart

Might not be a bad idea to make that config file change part of your build / fix (or a default), or at least write that config file change to syslog when oom hits - let the naive user know what's needed.

Thanks for the build with ksmbd. It's OK and working and I can use Network Shares now. Although maybe in the future I can build my own version but now you just saved my time and I needed working PPPoE NSS.
Regarding option netlink_buffer_size '4194304' I've already changed it right after installing the build you provided. It's working for me now. But it needed mentioning for those who didn't know it.
Still I cannot make a successful Reverse SSH connection even with the forwarding rule added to the Firewall settings. Obviously I miss something and I opened a separate thread to not spam the NSS one.

Just curious: have you tried NSS fq-codel on this new build?

If you search OpenWrt Forums, there are many posts complaining about nlbwmon issues and suggested setttings/workarounds. I tried them all but none of them worked for me. As such, the settings that seemed to work for me may not work for you or others. It's people's choice to play with whatever workaround or setting that may work for them. Using OpenWrt builds (especially non-mainstream builds like these NSS builds) implies that each of us would be willing to take risks and laugh in the face of random crashes or whatever issues that may arise. It's the joy and the warm feeling that we have learned something new each day that keep us going. And as a matter of fact, we can only learn new things and grow by bumping into failures and problems along the way.

2 Likes

Sorry, I haven't tried the NSS fq-codel with builds using the new PPPoE patches. I have decently fast WAN throughput with low latency (around 4ms over Ethernet). Coupled with fast NSS-offloading, the slight increase in latencies under heavy traffic does not really affect me to any noticeable extent.

I'll definitely adjust my expectations.