Ipq806x NSS build (Netgear R7800 / TP-Link C2600 / Linksys EA8500)

@ACwifidude I've rebuilt my firmware with the latest changes (removed tasklets). My initial tests indicate sight improvements (about ~10%) on the 5G wi-fi, however the wired speed seems to have dropped slightly (about 5% - it used to be 880Mbs, now 840Mbs).
@quarky Any thoughts?
As before the uploads are behaving better than the downloads. Any ideas to try?

The change done for the mac80211 (WiFi) driver should not affect the LAN/WAN (i.e. wire) side tho. I'm still able to get 930 Mbps up/down for my R7800. It's great that you observed better thruput with this change tho.

For WiFi, upload will be more efficient compared to download (for TCP and UDP traffic) as the NSS firmware is processing the network data earlier, as compared to download (wrt to wireless client PoV.) With the encap offload patch to ath10k (not ath10k-ct), download speed should be further boosted tho. I can get more than 600 Mbps speed for download using an iPhone 12 Pro connected to my R7800.

1 Like

I have a small request: it is possible to get kmod-batman-adv and batctl in the next build? Opkg cant find the dependency kernel.

You find all k-mods within the folder 'packages' on GitHub. You can install them manually - which is a great service by the way. I did so to keep support for my 4G Stick - it works.

1 Like

This should work when you SSH in to the router:

opkg install https://github.com/ACwifidude/openwrt/raw/openwrt-21.02-nss-qsdk10.0/bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/packages/kmod-batman-adv_5.4.143%2B2021.1-3_arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4.ipk

Here is the listing of all the available packages for 21.02:

https://github.com/ACwifidude/openwrt/tree/openwrt-21.02-nss-qsdk10.0/bin/targets/ipq806x/generic/packages

1 Like

@ACwifidude first of all, thank you and others for your excellent work.My build with nss works very stable (in 21.02-snapshot, built in this month).

But I have 802.11r problem. the log is:

daemon.err hostapd: nl80211: kernel reports: key addition failed
*time* daemon.debug hostapd: wlan0: STA *my android mac* MLME: MLME-AUTHENTICATE.indication(*my android mac*, FT)
*time* daemon.debug hostapd: wlan0: STA *my android mac* IEEE 802.11: association OK (aid 4)
*time* daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA *my android mac* IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 4)
*time* daemon.debug hostapd: wlan0: STA *my android mac* MLME: MLME-REASSOCIATE.indication(*my android mac*)
*time* daemon.debug hostapd: wlan0: STA *my android mac* IEEE 802.11: binding station to interface 'wlan0'
*time* daemon.debug hostapd: wlan0: STA *my android mac* WPA: event 6 notification
*time* daemon.debug hostapd: wlan0: STA *my android mac* WPA: FT authentication already completed - do not start 4-way handshake

I just use 802.11r excluding v and k. seems it works, but when I play on-line game and roam to other AP, the network will be lost, the screen will get stuck, then I turn to original AP it will return to normal immediately. as 19.07 I don't have this err.

as a result, I can't play on-line games when roaming.

When I google it. I got this link(not so many people talk about it):
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/802-11r-broken-in-recent-master-nl80211-attr-sta-vlan-errors/88888

Devices: Netgear R7800, UniFi AP AC Lite
I used to have 802.11r working, but it appears it stopped working recently, maybe because of all the mac80211 backports.

I‘m not a dev, so I don't understand these very well. Do you have any suggestions? thanks a lot.

Hope it is something simple like one of the settings. Both APs both running openwrt? Both APs have the exact same wireless settings for the SSID/password? Using WPA2 or WPA3 security?

WPA3 requires you to turn off the locally generated key feature.

WPA2 should work with the default settings assuming both APs have openwrt:

both APs running openwrt? yes
Both APs have the exact same wireless settings for the SSID/password? yes
Using WPA2 or WPA3 security? WPA2,same settings as yours
My sub AP is different Model running 19.07,but I think it is Irrelevant.It has no error log.

edit: after google a lot. I found that default crypt 21.02 hostapd is wolfssl, and 19.07 is mbedtls. bucause wolfssl support wpa3.may wolfssl cause the error. I will try to change to mbedtls.

edit: no, It's not. still got daemon.err hostapd: nl80211: kernel reports: key addition failed.. :upside_down_face:

I just installed latest 20.02 build with ath10k-ct driver (I used regular ath10k before because it worked better for me) and for now it's working super good. Wired performance is 100% and very low ping, also Wifi performance from my Android phone is great as well, with low ping and excellent bandwidth (400-500 Mbps from a 600 Mbps connection).

@ACwifidude just a small silly request, if possible could you include " ddns-scripts-noip" package in your build? I use no-ip.com ddns service and this is the only package I install every time I upgrade my router. It would be very handy to have it already installed. No worries if you prefer to skip it. Thanks a lot for your work on this!!! :smiley:

1 Like

@quarky Thanks for sharing this info. I'll try out the non-ct driver in my next build

1 Like

ok so i understand i have to keep the last master version for the close future :slight_smile:
i have to admit i've not understood if the work @Ansuel @robimarko and those fantastic guys are doing on ipq807 should also take our ipq806 on new kernels.. is it?
otherwise it seems we are stuck, at this point..

I thought 802.11r is permanently vulnerable to KRACK or whatever, one of those network penetrating vulnerabilities? As long as you are using WPA2-PSK, the roaming is automatic without the need for 802.11r being enabled, and the speed advantage it may provide, is minimal.

As my exprience. when playing game on a mobile phone, 802.11r can provide a seamlss process. w/o it, switch to other APs couldn't be smooth.

Yep, their patches for ipq807x are similar. Going to need the newer ipq806x qsdk firmware for NSS and some work to make the patches similar (easier for maintenance).

I've just flashed this new 21.02 build from September 26 with the ath10k driver. Anxious to experience how this build will fare. I'm particularly interested in the recent combination of patches for ath10k (not using ath10k-ct). So one could assume; no news from me, means good news :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So has anyone gotten 160mhz working on ath10k-ct since it broke a few months back?

EDIT: https://github.com/greearb/ath10k-ct/commit/23c74615877fa6bf2c09df773a42e30073657cb8

maybe this? idk if thats in latest 2012

double edit: yeah we're on the ath10k-ct 5.10 from june, @ACwifidude there's a patch available

1 Like

Someone should send a PR to update it

1 Like

Hi! I'm giving this build a spin and seeing very different down/up speeds.
I'm using the Stable build.

Upload is kick ass and pretty much maxing out my fiber connection.
Any settings/tweaks to catch the download speed up?

I will once i get my router confirmed working.

just nuked all my settings to a botched flash. that's what i get for not backing up i guess.

1 Like

Usual suspects: Software offloading should be turned off, SQM turned off, and check for any startup scripts that could be causing an issue.

Otherwise it is usually some config setting.