IPQ40xx: Is it possible to use vlans?

Thank you all for your advices! I will report back today.

Can someone explain why the factory reset performed over Luci seems to work and firstboot over the CLI doesn't?

I'm guessing that it's the mounted vs. not-mounted branch in jffs2reset (yes, JFFS2 tools running against UBIFS). https://git.openwrt.org/?p=project/fstools.git;a=tree overlay_delete() is in libsftools/overlay.c

Thanks for pointing out! I was just wondering why my try to factory reset in Luci seems to work. I can see the LEDs of the router are blinking and the device is rebooting by itself. I would expect a password and old configs in the webinterface if the factory reset isn't working but it looks like a fresh install.

Are you still advice to do a factory reset with the failsafe method or can I just trust the webinterface. Just asking for timesavings!

PS: You guys are great, so helpful and fast answers! Thanks a lot!

I don't trust something named jffs2reset with UBIFS, especially what I have seen of it so far. If I really need a "factory reset" on a NAND-based device I'll either manually "reformat" the overlay, or, more likely, reflash the device.

Very seldom do I need a full, factory reset -- if I need to revert a file or two that is auto-generated, I delete the file, then reboot.

2 Likes

Should a reflash with the CLI sufficient? I think I can do this way more faster (and more safe) than wiping some partitions. :wink:

Reflash using sysupgrade, as long as you specify -n, should work as well.

There are good reasons to prefer ubiupdatevol (which sysupgrade typically eventually calls) over writing a raw image with NAND, such as a U-Boot flash would do.

1 Like

Is ubiupdatevol /dev/<right_ubi_device> /tmp/netgear_ex6150v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin the right way to go? The sysupgrade firmwares are the correct one for the ubiupdatevol? What's the name of the ubi-partition i have to look for?
And running the command from a normal booted device is ok, no need for failsafe mode?

No, sysupgrade.bin for most NAND devices is actually a tar file. Install with

sysupgrade [-n] /tmp/some-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

sysupgrade deals with the "dance" required to change root underneath a running system.

An end user would probably use ubiupdatevol to erase the overlay, as I outlined above.

A developer might use it to write locally generated UBI volume images, but that isn't common.

1 Like

Thank you! This worked, I only additionally added the '0t' to the VLAN1 tagging!

I performed the sysupgrade like @jeff described and went through the configuration. So it's possible to use VLAN-tagging on the EX6150v2. Thank you so much!

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Configure VLANs on EX6150v2 / EX6100v2

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.