IPQ4019: VLAN issues on custom hardware

I am having quite some difficulty in getting VLANs to work on IPQ4019 based custom hardware. Please note that this hardware uses a QCA8072 Dual Port transceiver connected via PSGMII to IPQ4019. I am unable to get even basic VLAN support working with this device. To start with I would expect that the following config would result in a workable network:

config switch
        option name 'switch0'
        option reset '1'
        option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '1'
        option ports '0t 4'
        option vid '1'

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd2a:618b:4b4b::/48'

config interface 'lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option ifname 'eth1.1'
        option ip6assign '60'
        option proto 'dhcp'

If I change the ifname for lan to eth1 (rather than eth1.1), this will work. This whole situation makes no sense to me. I would really like to hear any ideas there might be on this.

Thanks for reading

That should solve it properly.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will certainly look into it but does this imply there is a known reason why the old (non DSA) method for VLAN implementation should fail in this situation?
Also please note that the current development for this hardware is being done in 19.07.

…it's complicated. The hardware is special, the driver is quirky - trying to hide the switch and the fact that there is only a single CPU port (faking a second and hardcoding a special VLAN config, making real VLANs on top difficult and slow)

The enduser howto would be

But there are very detailed explanations here in past forum threads, but the solution to all this is the pending DSA driver replacing all that.

The link to "IPQ40xx Switch Config Strangeness" gave me the answers I was looking for. Thanks for posting, not sure how I missed that in my previous search.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.