IPQ4019: Adding support for TP-Link Deco M5

@GoliathLabs I don't think you would be breaking any rules, if you give credit where it is due (especially for the .dts file) - my vote is for go ahead, submit a PR and the devs should help you sort it out... I wish this device was supported in master.

@jprafael do you have a FTDI cable? There is a serial port on the Deco M5 - You could peek at the console through the serial port on the Deco and spot what's breaking while you are flashing...

@ljr I do have a rasperry bi that I could try. but soldering on those tiny pads scares me :slight_smile: I'll see if i'm up for the task on the week end.

I have created a new PR for an upstream merger. Thanks to @frankveltmans and @ljr for their work on this. I have of course given credits for the work on the .dts file

3 Likes

Would be great if you could describe the installation process a bit more detailed.

Alright, will be added to the PR :slight_smile:

1 Like

@tmomas added the instructions to the PR :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I'm trying to install OpenWRT here on multiple TP-Link M5's
(if this works, planning on installing it too on M9 - if anyone has more info about this, please let me know)

Installed Ubuntu enviroment to build OpenWRT in VirtualBox.

Everything goes well, until the make command.
I get the following error:

WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/ksmbd/Makefile' has a dependency on 'kmod-crypto-arc4', which does not exist
make[1] world
make[2] tools/compile
make[3] -C tools/flock compile
make[3] -C tools/xz compile
make[3] -C tools/sed compile
make[3] -C tools/patch compile
make[3] -C tools/tar compile
make -r world: build failed. Please re-run make with -j1 V=s or V=sc for a higher verbosity level to see what's going on
make: *** [/home/gebruiker/openwrt/include/[toplevel.mk:227](http://toplevel.mk:227/): world] Error 1

Package kmod IS installed

Anyway any ideas or directions to get OpenWRT installed?
Thx :slight_smile:

Do as instructed:

Was successfully able to build and flash this onto my M5 CA/1.0 today! So far everything appears to be working, apart from the LED Configuration not working. Used frankveltmans's code.

Quick question for those of you running OpenWRT on your M5s: if you've set up multiple SSIDs, are you wiring all of your Decos together or are you using a WiFi backhaul?

Wired if you can help it, because M5 doesn't feature 2x 5Ghz radios, so your usable bandwidth takes a hit. Perhaps consider 802.11s instead?

thanks so much for this. I've cloned yours from this repo https://github.com/GoliathLabs/openwrt and built it.... flashed all my M5s (US/3.0) and so far everything's great....

I'm struggling with DSA and VLANs though..... don't how to configure it differently compared to using swconfig, but I'm reading up and learning...

could you show me how to define the switch? I've tried without success :frowning:

Also.. I tried the newer DSA build ..... I can't figure out the vlan!

Where you able to figure out the VLANs? I’m Running into a similar issue. It looks like the bridge option isn’t there when you create a new interface so I guess you need to bridge it with the lan some other way.

I could only conclude its broken in this DSA version... so if you want VLANs you need to use the 19.07 build posted in the beginning of this thread

There is no DSA support for ipq40xx yet. So if you want to blame something, it would be (the) swconfig (driver), not DSA.

I'm not sure if I follow. Do you mean the switch feature can't be enabled on this device because the hardware can't support it or that we need to wait for someone to provide DSA support?

Thanks. So to clarify, this means even if we build the [21.02.0-rc4] version firmware, we should keep and use swconfig to perform VLANs as though it was still 19.07? Am I understanding this correctly? Cheers

The ipq40xx target as a whole does not support DSA yet<fullstop>. Not in 19.07, not in 21.02, not in master (yet).

So far only swconfig is an option (with the usual caveats for ipq40xx and its swconfig driver), unless you're actively developing on ipqess - you'd know, if you were.

2 Likes

If you're going to try and build with swconfig please let us know if you get VLANs working, it would be amazing to use these for separating IoT networks.