IP address assignment while SmartConnect is ON and more than one LAN-

By default, Openwrt creates one LAN. Let us assume the following situation:
The IP address of the physical router is for instance: X.Y.Z.2
Smart Connect is ON.
Two other LANs (one on the 2.4 GHz radio and one on the 5 GHz radio) are added named LAN2, LAN3 for example. The 3 LANs have different IP address (Static) (for example X.Y.Z.2, X.Y.A.6 and X.Y.T.1) and the submask for each is 255.255.255.0.
Three wireless networks (different SSID) are created and each is associated to a specific LAN For example, wifi to LAN, wifi2 to LAN2 and wifi3 to LAN3).
Now we connect a cell phone to LAN, a PC to LAN2 and a laptop to LAN3. Connection is OK for every device. However, the displayed IP address of each device is, surprisingly: X.Y.Z.a, X.Y.Z.b and X.Y.Z.c as if they were on the same LAN, as if their packets were processed by the same interface (LAN) - As if LAN2 and LAN3 were ignored. Is it because of the SmartConnect ON? What am I missing?

What router and firmware are you using?

Please connect to your OpenWRT device using ssh and copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:

Remember to redact keys, passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

ubus call system board

Any router supporting openwrt and SmartConnect.

What is that? What it does?

Sorry. SmartConnect is Band Steering for Openwrt. But I realized the issue I mentioned (apparently wrong IP addresses for devices ) has nothing to do with this feature.
But I still have the issue. Allow me to rephrase it as follows:
I am using a Dual-Band Archer 23 v.1 router. Three separate LANs (LAN , LAN2 and LAN3 -each LAN has its own Static IP Address- No forwarding between zone. DHCP svr is set-up for all LANs. Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 for each.
I connected a device to LAN, another device to LAN2 and another to LAN3. Normally each device should have an IP address that matches the LAN it is connected to. But it is not what’s happening.
The IP address of each device published (by each device and by the router) indicates that all devices are on the same LAN, namely LAN (the one defined by default by Openwrt) as if LAN2 and LAN 3 were ignored.
Any idea why this? What am I missing?
Thanks!

Show /etc/config/network . lanX is not the same as vlan.X

I think Smart Connect is specific for tplink stock software and not supported by OpenWRT.

Actually Openwrt has a better feature . See band steering. SmartConnect technology used by tplink is unclear on how it really works : the only thing you can assess is that you can use ONE SSID and ONE password for APs on both channels (2.4 and 5 GHz).. Openwrt has its own way to process that and more but a bit complex.

1 Like

You are right. The firmware is important. I explain:
I used two methods (I explain hereafter) and apply each method to configure an Archer router hosting an old version of Openwrt and an Archer router hosting the newest Openwrt (AX23.1).
Method 1: I STARTED by creating three independent interfaces as mentioned in my first post. THEN I configured the wireless networks and finished with the firewall zones. During the ‘interface configuration’ process and from the dropdown list I had to specify a device to be associated with each interface I created. If I leave this field with an unspecified value, the old firmware Archer router accept it. Using the newest firmware, if I leave this field with an unspecified value, an error message is displayed (an error and not a warning). Note that If you do specify a device you’d better choose the right one (which is not quite obvious unless you are an openwrt super expert)

Method 2: this method worked right away with the new openwrt version. I STARTED by creating my wireless networks. During this process, I must associate each wireless network with an interface that IS NOT YET CREATED. I enter its name in the dropdown list and THE SYSTEM CREATED IT WHILE SELECTING AN AP (ACCESS POINT) DEVICE. THEN I completed the interface configuration (IP address, subnet mask, …) and finished with the firewall zones. Traffic rules ). Problem solved!
This new firmware AX23.1 offers a smart UI ( it creates the needed interface and selects the appropriate device and even orders them) . Very easy to configure when you use Method 2.