Iopsys EG400 - possible to run up to date OpenWrt?

Iopsys is sort of like OpenWRT (a fork), but designed to be operated/operatable remotely by service-providers.

This is done via protocols and services which can be disabled with admin-access.

Once those are off, Iopsys is pretty much like an inferior OpenWRT with a different JS-powered GUI (Juci).

Notable differences (for this device at least):

• much more sophisticated WiFi settings than OOB OpenWRT
  • built on a older OpenWRT base.
  • don’t expect to get Opkg in a usable state. You have what you have. Deal :slight_smile:

That said. You’ll find most of the things where you expect them to. Either in the GUI or in /etc/config.

The network management in general is clearly VLAN-capable (my isp used 4 in its default config), but I haven’t tried applying this to WiFi. Worst case scenario, try ifname.vlanid notation?

That said i haven’t tried a setup like yours.

Give it a shot and see if it works?

Because I’m a stubborn idiot, I went looking at the Iopsyswrt source to see if there’s more to be had here.

Findings:

• latest iopsyswrt is v6.4
  • there’s a branch where iopsys is rebased on OpenWRT 21.02.1

My hope was that I could build that for the EG400 and pioint opkg to the 21.02 package repo to extend the usefulness of the device (with obvious disclaimers about packages requiring kernel-modules).

Unfortunately I found support for the EG400 is discontinued at this point.

Going back in time I found the commit where EG400 support was removed, and checked out the revision before that (commit e60775621aad71f7f32d5878d561a80c9fac211c,
Author: Jani Juvan jani.juvan@iopsys.eu,
Date: Fri Nov 20 13:35:25 2020 +0100), hoping that would be more recent and still build.

Even after quite a bit of muscling with the build-system, something still failed the build and I gave up.

But at this point it was trying to build a 4.1 kernel which seems somewhat close to the image we already have.

So I checked the package sources for Iopsyswrt at this point in time, and they seem based on OpenWRT 19.06!

Maybe tweaking opkg to the right 19.06 repo might work for this build too? :slight_smile:

If nobody else beats me to it, I will give it a try myself one of the upcoming days!

Exciting stuff!

Hi @josteink,

Great work! I successfully flashed my EG400 with the image you provided. I was hoping for the possibility to set up a guest WiFi with it (disabled in the ISP's version). Unfortunately, the fiber internet/WAN stopped working. On the original ISP version, all relevant settings were hidden so there was nothing to sneak into for the WAN/SFP settings. No user/password or settings provided by the provider, so I'm a bit lost.

Any idea for typical settings to try? Thx a lot!

For my ISP all I had to do was request DHCP on a specific VLAN on the wan-interface (VLAN 10 for Get/Telia)

This was actually visible in the old interface, I just didn’t notice until afterwards :sweat_smile:

Thanks a lot! Indeed, configuring the ethwan VLAN to (ID from Provider)

VLAN Type:  802.1Q
Base Device:    WLAN (eth0)
VLAN ID:    92
Priority:   0

brought the connection back!

1 Like

Nice! If you share what ISP and subscription you have, it may help others in your situation too :slightly_smiling_face:

Great to see this thread recover :slight_smile:
I have also an EG400 and wanted to use it as an advanced AP, flashed 4.2 beta something on it (I unlocked it from my ISP as they did not patch, so I was able to use this), but it was not working properly. Ever since I tried to build newer versions several times, but I was never able to get it working.

But tell me one thing: My understanding was, that quite a few devices should be compatible with each others build. That's why I tried to build 6.4 just today with the config for the DG400prime device.
But still no luck with that.

I am also slowly giving up on this...

Using the 4.3 formware uploaded above for now, just to see how it behaves. Thanks for that one! :slight_smile:

I’ve contacted Iopsys support. They say 4.3 is the absolutely last version to support the EG400.

I don’t have any good deep insight into Inteno routers, but I wouldn’t by default assume any two router-firmwares are cross-device compatible unless given clear assurances about that.

Successfully flashed the latest firmware, thanks! How do I get root access for this? I need to put in vlan 10 for Telia to get internet access.

See above. You just add your ssh-keys in the management UI, and then you can SSH in as root.

Default login for the web-interface should be admin/admin. You may also be able to set VLANs there without fiddling with SSH.

I did not get SSH to work, but finally found it in the GUI. Works now. Thanks guys!

.. i found the way to flash.. and i posted it in this thread .. Iopsys EG400 - possible to run up to date OpenWrt? - #7 by ZorgX (and befor that https://foorum.hinnavaatlus.ee/viewtopic.php?p=9917608#9917608 ) .. but i guess you did make a wiki out of the info i found .. anyway.. its not inposible to take the drivers from the iopsys and get it working with openwrt.. you just need the drivers .. and the kernal stuff is in a blub from iopsys.. and maybe we need some of that to .. some of the drivers for the router that is not in the blob (think its this : feed_inteno_broadcom ) is stuff like the light settings.. you can also get luci to run.. just install the packs and it runs fine.. its even settings for it in the iopsys settings to run both luci and juci (iopsys dashboard)

and the ram\nand size in the wiki is wrong..
And you have wrong target if you want to use opkg.. you have iopsys-brcm63xx-arm thats wrong.

And you cant just log in if you have the password to admin\get etc .. you need to edit the file over that user can use juci like this :

To get user accsess controll type vi /etc/config/owsd ( my support user is name get becuse my ruoter is from get, to find your support user just type cat /etc/passwd

config owsd 'global'
option sock '/var/run/ubus.sock'
option www '/www'
option redirect '/cgi-bin/luci:/cacheflush.html'

config owsd-listen 'loopback'
option port '80'
option interface 'loopback'
option ipv6 'on'
list origin '*'

config owsd-listen 'lan'
option port '80'
option interface 'lan'
option ipv6 'on'
option whitelist_interface_as_origin '1'
option whitelist_dhcp_domains '1'
list origin '*' <----- add
list user 'admin' <---- add
list user 'get' <----- and this one
list user 'user'

config owsd-listen 'lan_8080'
option port '8080'
option interface 'lan'
option ipv6 'on'
option whitelist_dhcp_domains '1'
list origin '*' <---- Add
list user 'admin' <---- Add
list user 'get' <----- And this one
list user 'user'

config owsd-listen 'wan'
option port '80'
option interface 'wan'
option ipv6 'on'
list origin '*'
list user 'admin' <---- if you dont like your isp remove this
list user 'get' <----- and rename get to 'nobodyEver'

config owsd-listen 'wan_8080'
option port '8080'
option interface 'wan'
option ipv6 'on'
list origin '*'
list user 'admin' <-----if you dont like your isp remove this
list user 'get' <---- and rename get to 'nobodyEver'

config owsd-listen 'MGMT'
option port '80'
option interface 'MGMT'
option ipv6 'on'
list origin '*'
list user 'get' <-----and rename get to 'nobodyEver'

config owsd-listen 'MGMT_8080'
option port '8080'
option interface 'MGMT'
option ipv6 'on'
list origin '*'

config owsd-listen 'wan6'
option port '80'
option interface 'wan6'
option ipv6 'on'
option ipv6only 'on'
list origin '*'

config owsd-listen 'Internet'
list user 'nobodyEver'

config owsd-listen 'HSD'
list user 'nobodyEver'

config owsd-listen 'SIP'
list user 'nobodyEver'

- owsd 84/84 100%

And yea you need passwords icon_smile.gif type passwd admin and make the new password after that passwd get ( or your support profile)

After this you can edit most of the usersettings from admin profile System --> Menu Accsess
1 Like

You can also use UART without open the router:

1 Like

I suspected as much, but never bothered to try to find the pin layout when I couldn’t see the circuitry.

Update the wiki with details? :grinning:

I found an updated version with more functions and languages here: https://www.karistelefon.fi/sv/component/edocman/modem-mjukvara/eg400-x-kpoy-4-3-6-110-r-210722-1345?Itemid=

It seems to work, but I don't quite understand how to access the router via SSH.

hmm.. that looks maybe as a update form a telecompany https://fi.linkedin.com/in/janinakronlund?original_referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F and if its that, i dont think you get SSH ut of the box.. anyway, i can find the links so you can use opkg ..

The GUI (JUCI) shows SSH in System - Management

Anything that helps getting LuCI and other packages running as well, is welcome.

I would attach a screenshot, but I don't see the function.

I also tried "DG400-A-neon-4.2.0ALPHA8-190320_2019.y3".
Maybe I am doing something wrong?

oh.. youst make a ssh key with putty
bilde

I just tried it adding the keys in the interface and then "ssh -i .ssh/root root@192.168.5.1". Works now... Lets see what can be done with it.

You mentioned that LuCi can be installed and then even "activated" in the original menu?!

yea its under httpd or something.. and you can just install luci with the comandos if you have the correct links for opkg ..

opkg update
opkg install luci <--- this can also be a direct link to a luci pack but if you do it that way you need to add all the packs
opkg update
opkg install luci-ssl
/etc/init.d/uhttpd restart