"Invalid controller file found" Total Noob - sorry

Did you buy this from wifi_wonders on Ebay?

I have bought one and has the same issue. Confident I can sort it myself but wondered how you got on?

Afternoon all.
I couldn't post again last night because I hit a maximum posting limit (as a day one user?) then had a manic day yesterday.

@steeleyjim yes - wifi_wonders...

Bit of a nightmare but got it all sorted myself in the end.

If you do the router reset, and connect via PTTY etc, you can reset the password.

Then use WinSCP or similar, to navigate to, and delete, the following file, to get rid of the error and let you sort it:

/usr/lib/lua/luci/controller/openvpn.lua

mine was an empty file, from memory.

I then decided to follow some great instructions I'd found online, after another ebay seller sent me some info:

https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=279

https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=266

It turned out that I couldn't use LUCI web interface to install

openvpn-openssl,

nor

luci-app-openvpn

due to a kernel dependency error.

From research online, it looks like the "lib c" (libstdcpp) is already installed / built in / compiled, but that if it's not been manually installed previously, there is no history of it being installed, and so LUCI prevents installing.

Hopefully someone will amend / confirm or correct my understanding about this - I was on it until 3am, and was losing the will...

Anyway, I discovered from another online post, that you CAN use the command line and force the install, ignoring the dependencies.

I DID try to install the LIBC (standard C library) package anyway, just in case.

I had to use the "--force-depends" switch, to force the install.

Once I did that, I was able to carry on with those instructions, and get the VPN session set up.

I successfully got a connection to the Argentina server via LAN connections on the back of the router.

That unfortunately did not solve my original problem of convincing Microsoft that I was in Argentina, but I then discovered another post, saying that for my particular challenge, I could use Panama, Vietnam or Costa Rica.

I edited the file on the router via SCP, to change the destination server address to Costa Rica, and everything I was trying to do, then worked perfectly!

Thanks to @jeff and @mk24 for the initial help

1 Like

Hi @slh - now that I'm up and running, can you tell me more about the snapshot for enabling second CPU core - I'm still (re)learning...

many thanks