Introduction and Question Fritzbox 7530

Hello everybody.
My name is Thorsten, I tried WRT way back in time with a Linksys router and loved it.
Now I come back to OPENWRT and I want to set up a network for 5 parties with individual, separated LAN/WLAN.

The set up I am aiming is as follows:
Fiber-Modem connects to fritz on LAN1
1st client connects to LAN2 (VLAN1)
2nd to 5th client access via WIFI.
How many SSIDs with separate LAN/DHCP can be set up with only one router and if it can be done, how can it be done?

Thank you for your input.

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten!

WiFi radios nowadays support anywhere between 8 to 16 SSIDs, but in practice you would use only up to 4 SSIDs or less. That's because the AP has to transmit beacons for each SSID which consumes wireless bandwidth.

Instead of multiple SSIDs you may try per-PSK WiFi VLANs. Basically, you have one SSID and give each client (or group of clients) a unique PSK. The AP would then map each PSK and its corresponding WiFi traffic to a specific VLAN.

Ok, this option is new to me.
I will look into it.
Thanks

Up to 16 separate SSIDs should be possible on this hardware. Here is the relevant output from iw phy0 info / iw phy1 info:

valid interface combinations:
		 * #{ managed } <= 16, #{ AP, mesh point } <= 16, #{ IBSS } <= 1,
		   total <= 16, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz, 40 MHz, 80 MHz, 80+80 MHz, 160 MHz }

But as already mentioned, actually making full use of that is probably not a good idea.