Installing Wordpress on OpenWrt [solved]

Hi guys, I'm new here. I spent my first few hours with LEDE/OpenWRT yesterday; very impressed with what I've seen. (The last time I tried to work on an embedded server was 10 years ago with Debian on a SheevaPlug, and I'm glad that things have moved on.) Also delighted with the help I received on my clueless TCP/IP config questions.

My objective is to install a LAMP stack and WordPress on a GL.inet MT300A. I'm about 60% of the way there from a standing start.

I used the Wiki extensively in the course of the day and found some obvious omissions.

• No explanation of the significance of SSH/Putty
  • PHP instructions are out of date
  • No account of installing SQLite
  • No account of installing WordPress

I will need to document my own process and would be happy to upload rough versions of all these, time permitting. However, I'm aware that most Wikis are actually maintained by sub-groups with strong agendas and I don't want to tread on anyone's toes. Would the above be useful?

Best, NP

You might start with the Wiki Contribution Guide.

https://openwrt.org/wiki/wikirules

UPDATE: The WordPress instructions referenced in this thread now reside at https://openwrt.org/docs/user-guide/services/install_wordpress

Thanks, JWoods. I did review, and attempted to put the text below in the 'community maintained documentation' forum, only to receive a warning about the inclusion of links -- which are kind of critical to the project. If you can spare a moment, please review and suggest what I might do with it. Keen to get it out there... Best, NP

https://openwrt.org/docs/user-guide/services/install_wordpress

Welcome to OpenWrt, @niftyprose. Thanks for taking on a cool project - installing Wordpress... A few comments on your post (to make it better).

• A "New User" cannot create posts with more than two links. (This is a spam prevention technique.) You have already progressed to a "Basic User" by reading many topics, spending at least 10 minutes reading posts, etc. You can now post articles with multiple links (as you may have noticed) and have the capability to use the forum fully.

• I have taken the liberty of renaming this topic to "Installing Wordpress on OpenWrt" (since it's not about list etiquette any longer).

• I like to point people to the SSH Access for Newcomers page for SSH alternatives. (I'm especially fond of Cmder - it works like a terminal program is "supposed to".) This gets you out of the obligation to explain SSH clients...

• I also like to recommend that people use mDNS to give their router a name (instead of forcing people to use a static address.) I used the Zeroconf Howto to install avahi (it's the second item.) mDNS allows your router to advertise its name in a DNS repsonse. Now I can log into my router with ssh root@archer-c7 instead of remembering its IP address.

• Finally, you should consider moving this article to the OpenWrt wiki (instead of this forum), perhaps creating a new page in the User Guide section.

Thanks again!

Thanks, Rich, that's exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated. I'm going to put it in the User Guide section as you recommend. I've corrected some literals overnight; will be delighted to receive comments (like "Include mDNS") but I feel I've taken it as far as I can on my own. Best, NP

Hi Rich, I need to tug on your sleeve (or maybe of other forum members).

I went to the OpenWRT wiki / User Guide page and added the syntax for a WordPress page to the 'Advanced' section. (You can see my link on the page now, I think.)

I then spent 10 minutes trying to find out how to add the new page. As far as I can tell, there is no instruction on the site that tells users how to do this. Also, although I found a page which lists new contributions, there is no explanation of how to put a submitted page on the 'pending' list.

This is frustrating. I will have to sit on my hands until a forum member helps me out.

Best, NP

https://openwrt.org/docs/user-guide/advanced/install_wordpress

-> Click the Pen symbol on the right to create the new page

There is no "pending list".

If you are not 100% finished with your article and you want to further work on it before declaring it matured enough, you can also create the article in the inbox, and after your are done, the article can be moved to the correct namespace / pagename.

Will Meister niftyprose@gmail.com
6:23 PM (1 minute ago)

to LEDE
Thanks, Rich and Thomas, that's much appreciated. I've now created the article in the 'Advanced' section of the user guides, URL here https://openwrt.org/docs/user-guide/services/install_wordpress . It has a few small changes from the version in this thread and should be taken as more up-to-date. While it's not perfect, I think I took it as far as I could in the short time available. I'm keen to see what other people will do with the material. Best, NP

1 Like

@niftyprose This is great! Thanks for adding to the world's knowledge!

I see you've removed the description from this topic in favor of the wiki. That's good. But two more things would make this complete:

• Change the subject line to "Installing Wordpress on OpenWrt [Solved]" (do this by clicking the pencil next to the subject, editing, then clicking the blue checkmark to save that change.)
  • add a first line to the original post to say something like:

Update: Solved - the procedure is at https://openwrt.org/docs/user-guide/services/install_wordpress

That way, new readers will immediately get to the good stuff (on the wiki) instead of slogging through all these messages. Thanks again!

Done! Thanks, Rich. Getting there... Best, NP.

1 Like

Thanks, Rich, that's much appreciated. I've now created the article in the
'Advanced' section of the user guides. It has a few small changes from the
version in this thread and should be taken as more up-to-date. While it's
not perfect, but I think I took it as far as I could in the short time
available. I'm keen to see what other people will do with the material.
Best, NP