Installing unbound stops DNS

Each time you do what?

If you're resetting your router constantly...the only method (as noted before) is to build a firmware with all your custom packages added.

Mirroring the complete package repo is probably more of a load than a handful of multiple downloads of the couple dozen packages you use.

Locally ā€œfrozen in timeā€ builds are perhaps best from source using good discipline with git and tagging/branching.

1 Like

The thread started with my asking about building my own firmware using the image generator so this is what I am talking about when I say 'each time', meaning, each time I build.

What I need is pretty static, I don't need to add/change packages all that often, even if they get updated. I can use the same build for quite some time. I wondered it there is an option using image generator to keep all of the packages which were previously downloaded when I build a new fw.

Every now and then, I could refrain from using that option in order to get the latest packages.
Yes, I could also download the entire repo but as you said, it doesn't seem worth doing. However, it would be good to not use the openwrt repo bandwidth every single time I build something.

Anyhow, it's fine, I can just wait. How long does this rebuilding of the packages take? I can just try again later.

Iā€™d give it a day, lots to build. ā€œThe hamsters are running as fast as they can.ā€

You can check the download site using a browser.

1 Like

@JoshGrant Please use "Preformatted text </>" for logs, scripts, configs and general console output.
grafik

Please edit your postings accordingly.

1 Like

I am wondering however, is there a way to save the downloads to prevent needing to download the next time I build?

Sure, manually download all prerequisites to your computer for future use.

Be advised though, snapshots and their packages update almost daily. So you must keep the firmware and packages sorted together.

I realized you said "next time I build"...not easilly.

Right, I would update every so often but just to build something, I don't need to download everything all the time.

I'm not sure what you mean by downloading to the computer. Do I just put the downloaded packages somewhere in the build tree and that prevents them from being downloaded again?

If youā€™re still using the image builder, youā€™d have to check to see if thereā€™s a way to disable fetching of the current package lists. Otherwise, even if there is a local copy for an updated package, it will fetch the new one.

Since most builds are only 4-10 MB, none of this seems to be worth significant effort.

1 Like

Well, this is day two of not being able to build now. Same thing is still happening. I've never seen this problem before in this way. Downloads would fail now and then but usually, re-trying a while later and things worked.

There must be something that is not working the same with the repo I would think.

Might want to consider compiling an image if that is an option.

1 Like

I'm also working on that but it is overkill for some of the things I need. Image generator is perfect for making small changes or testing something. I have not fully understood the other environment yet, still working on that :).

The question remains however, why is this happening only to the ramips version that I am trying to build? I tried building at71xx and it completes no problem. Since openwrt is doing a daily snapshot, doesn't this mean that the repo will end up broken most every day for most of the day as it has been doing since I at least started posting about it.

You may consider it ā€œoverkillā€ but the repeated suggestions from experienced members of the community should be considered. Youā€™d be done by now if you heeded that advice.

Jeff, please, give me some credit. I have been taking everything I am being offered and trying to learn. I have not once discarded anything that was suggested to me but I have limited technical skills and don't do this full time. I am trying as hard as I can with the time that I have and have been absorbing all I am offered which I appreciate.

Right now, I just want to build using image generator, it's the fastest way for me to get what I want but the repo keeps being down or broken. It's not me that needs to add more hours into this, it's the repo that needs to be more reliable I think.

Out of curiosity, someone mentioned to wait a while since packages can take a long time to build but this is again going on two days now. If the repo will never be ready in under a day, how will it ever be available for us since the snapshot is a daily one?

I think what you are currently seeing is some breakage, combined with the buildbots being busy as some new stable revisions are occurring; check the logs. Just to clarify, the snapshots are not generated by the clock, but by data(i.e. commits, so there can be >= 0 in any one day for any given target).

Ok, so it's possible that sometimes, builds will not complete for a day or two?
I just want to understand so I'm not trying to report problems that don't exist.

I also would love to just download everything one time for the different builds that I use so as not to use the repo bandwidth over and over again. No idea if it is but maybe this is something which could be added as an option when using 'make -option image'.

Third day now. The interesting part is this is only happening to the one build I am trying which is ramips-mt76x8. Just FYI since ARxxxx are building file.

Is there some way to help? I have friends that have lots of computing resources and maybe even bandwidth to share.

It's working!

Can anyone answer my question about possibly keeping the downloads, some way to prevent those from being required to be downloaded?

I know about using /files for example but I've not yet found any information on where I could put packages to prevent them from being downloaded when I don't need/want them to be.