This topic is now deleted

This post is now deleted

opkg can install packages provided to it explicitly, but it doesn't really help you with this task - meaning you need to provide all necessary packages (including their dependencies) by hand.

The imagebuilder probably makes more sense - especially for basic network drivers.

1 Like

imagebuilder assembles new monolithic firmware images from the downloaded binary packages. There are no device specific profile for x86, only the generic target profile, so need to further diversify the target profile.

You could download all of them as .ipk files, transfer them from the PC to the router with scp, and then opkg install them in the correct order, starting from the lowest in dependency hierarchy, so that when you install the next package, it already find the dependencies installed. (start with kmod-nls-base.)

If the .ipk files are in /tmp dir, you can "opkg install /tmp/packagename.ipk"

If you only need a few packages, that is viable, but if you need much more, the imagebuilder approach is likely easier in the long run.

1 Like

/tmp/ would make sense, as it's tmpfs (RAM) backed and will disappear on its own after the next reboot (you don't need the *.ipks anymore, once they're installed to the system).

Did you mean uci? LuCi is the web interface.

@hnyman has this nailed down for scp as in WinSCP or Putty:
I did this just last week for/as a walkthrough in a different post.

I thought a question was left unanswered.
Were you asking @hnyman if you could install these packaged offline via LuCi once they were manually downloaded and and placed in a directory LuCi would capture (see as available to install.)?

Ok
Keeping it simple thanks!

Beats all the typing and copy paste, I did not think to log in and see. I had placed the downloaded file into the /tmp/opkg-lists but just plowed thru the list I had.

Be interested in knowing if LuCi sees these file. But I'm past that point.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.