Installing over Chaos Calmer on TPLink 4300 v1 - does not seem to do anything

Hi there. I tried to upgrade over my current Chaos Calmer install using the sysupgrade (CLI) method.

According to the doc I should see something like this:
Performing system upgrade...
Unlocking firmware ...

Writing from <stdin> to firmware ...  [w]
Appending jffs2 data from /tmp/sysupgrade.tgz to firmware...TRX header not found
Error fixing up TRX header
Upgrade completed
Rebooting system...

However, I see:
# sysupgrade -v lede-17.01.0-rc2-r3131-42f3c1f-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Performing system upgrade...
Unlocking firmware ...

Writing from <stdin> to firmware ...
Upgrade completed
Rebooting system...
Back to Chaos Calmer...

Clearly, I'm doing something wrong. Any thoughts on how to progress? I was going to try to use rc1 and see if it behaves differently before going the mtd route. I could potentially re-flash the factory image, but I'd prefer to avoid all of that.

Thanks!

The OEM boot loader has an added TFTP recovery function. Depending on when you bought your device, reflashing to the latest factory and then back to OpenWRT/LEDE may not be a bad idea. (I have WDR3600 and Archer C7 myself).

Yeah I ended up doing exactly that with the factory lede image. That worked just fine. Thanks!

I had the same problem on WR1043NDv1. Trying to upgrade to LEDE was resulting only in router reboot. I ended up using TFTP to reinstall original firmware and from that I used *-factory.bin image to install LEDE. It worked without any issues.

Be aware that you can install LEDE directly from TFTP. You just need to use *-factory image and change the name of the file to the one TFTP client on your router in looking for.

I didn't even bother with the stock factory image. Using lede-17.01.0-rc2-...-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-squashfs-factory.bin worked just great (with tftp). You do have to rename it (wdr4300v1_tp_recovery.bin) and get the IP addresses right. It's all described real well here: https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr4300.