Installing OpenWrt on TP-Link WR849N v5 & v6

I'm a complete noob on openwrt and advanced networking stuff, but I am pretty decent with linux, I am at a bit of a loss with the sheer amount of info in the documentation and the presentation is kinda bad... Imagine my surprise when I look up for my router's model and see that it is one of the non documented ones! Could you point me to a concise start to finish proccess of installing openwrt in a device? Did you document your experience with the v5? I have one myself and right now it rubs me the wrong way cause every now and again for no reason at all it drops my phone from WiFi and I have to reboot it to get any connection back!
If it is not too much to ask, could you list the steps in order from after you connect to the tftp server(will have to figure this part too, but I feel like it is off topic) to logging into luci for the first time?

Hi, @schara still participate in the forum? I have a wr849 v5 and tried to use its file, but was unsuccessful. After flashing the bin file, I don't see Luci's graphical interface, just access via SSH using putty, but it didn't go away. Any idea?

Which file exactly?

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for answering! I downloaded the file made available by Schara (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RD0VDEJgT9BRc_qxajJaJGHhqh5DQw8H?usp=sharing) with the name tp_recovery.bin-v5 and changed it to tp_recovery.bin and followed the steps via TFTP and followed the normal steps. After the router restarted I changed the IP of my network card to 192.168.1.2 and managed to ping 192.168.1.1 but he did not open luci via browser. So via putty it managed to get to the linux interface, but I don't know what to do now.

Hello,

I would like to comment that I was able to understand my case and resolve the issue of access using the router.

#Information#
Model: TL-WR849N (300Mbps)
View: 5.0

After restoring the file tp_recovery.bin-v5 I was stuck in accessing the router via SSH only. I didn't understand why I couldn't access the luci graphical mode (web page). I decided to try to install luci's packet and returned insufficient space, that's when I decided to read this topic again and understood that my device has only 4Mb of storage and would only work via terminal. I then configured the network card and wifi via command line and success. It is now possible to use the grinder again.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.