Installing OpenWrt on old Raspberry Pi 2 B v1.1, old hardware puts me in a catch-22 where I can't instal drivers

You're totally on the wrong track here. Set up your Raspberry Pi 2 on your home network, using dhcp.

The add the needed driver for your Edimax adapter. Test the Wifi Access Point, to see if it working properly.

If, and if, all is going to plan then set up your Raspberry Pi 2 as your router (by giving it a static ip address).

Yes, it has it enabled.

Alternatively, As the other comment indicates, yo may be able to connect an Ethernet cable from your pc the the Ethernet port on the pi and get an up address by dhcp - as the Ethernet may start up as the LAN network port. Have you tried this already?

Serial will definitely work - but gives you console access, not access to the web interface, which you may find easier to use

i think ive used ethernet once, but i still couldnt get the drivers for the wifi adapters onto the pi.

also the i dont have female to female serial wires, so im having to use a breadboard, which is making the power connection unstable.

Well if you have access via Ethernet you can set the lan interface to get an up by dhcp, then connect the pi to your existing network and connect to the IP address your dhcp server assigns. Plus the pi with have internet access and you can install whatever you need via opkg or the software page in luci.

im going to be real, I just used the pi 2 as the dns server with pihole, and got a GL-iNet. but I did get my hands on a pi 4, and im trying to recreate the setup in docker.

1 Like