Installing OpenVPN Server WRT3200ACM

What's up guys? New to Lede. Coming from DD-WRT. Been having HORRIBLE issues w/ DD-WRT wifi deauthentication drops. I think it might be an issue with WPA2 AES. Anyways, seems to be working well with Lede. Thanks for that! Anyways, I've been trying to get OpenVPN server setup all freaking day, and I'm getting NOWHERE! Lol. Does anyone have a guide anywhere that actually works? I've tried using this one, but I get errors when trying to execute the openssl commands. Doesn't work, and I get stuck there. I also tried generating my keys with easy-rsa, and I got it all done and setup, and had tls timeout issues. I just want to get this VPN setup so I don't have to open an ssh tunnel every time I need to access something. I'd greatly appreciate it!!! Lol.

https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/openvpn.server#tab__commands

Are you setting up a server, or a client?

Client instructions -

https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/openvpn.client

Assuming you're setting up the OpenVPN server:

Try stopping and restarting the OpenVPN service:

/etc/init.d/openvpn stop
/etc/init.d/openvpn start

Then try to connect from one of your clients. If that fixes the problem, chances are that this is an issue with the boot sequence/timing. See this post for a potential solution.

If that doesn't work, post your config files for the openvpn server AND client (sanitize where necessary) and your /etc/config/network file so that people can look for problems with the config setup that might be causing your issue.

I had issues generating server and client files on the router so i generated them on my PC and then copied to my router and it worked well.

Generating the certs wasn't my issue. I generated all my certs, and set them up, then couldn't get anything to connect. Idk. I've given up. None of the openwrt or lede guides work. I can't find anything concrete that works. Just using SSH port forwarding when I need to access my machine now. Sucks. Spent 3 days on this, and finally gave up.

I am running into issues on this as well. I had been running 18.06 on a Linksys E2000 router just fine -but upgraded that due to the noted space limitations- to the WRT3200ACM running 21.02.3. I know this is old topic to revive but not even sure if this correct place to ask..if so I can start a new topic but I have tried going about this multiple ways to no avail. Using the provided scripts on the server setup page, I am just getting these generic errors while trying to run the key management script:

root@WYPP-RSK-OWR01:~# ./2-keymanagement.sh

Easy-RSA error:

EASYRSA_PKI env-var undefined

Easy-RSA error:

Easy-RSA error:

Easy-RSA error:

And that is all, does anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

I used this https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-and-configure-an-openvpn-server-on-ubuntu-20-04 guide to generate easy rsa keys for the router. If you are running into space problems on the router, you may want to omit the openwrt installation of the easy rsa package and generate the keys on a linux pc.

1 Like

That guide was not particularly helpful in the sense of working right out of the gate, but it did point me into the right direction so that I was able to finish installing the server and can connect from my cell phone without too much trouble other than time looking up error codes that I was more or less able to figure out myself.

I seem to be having another issue now trying to connect to my home network devices via some sort of routing issue maybe?? But I can open up a new question rather than resurrect another five year old zombie one. Thank you for helping me get this far! The fact that I can connect to my router's vpn server feels like a massive leap forward right now.

You will need public IP address from your ISP and enable port forwarding for the specific Openvpn port on the ISP router.

Nah, already solved this ID:10T error. My VM server that I use to host my websites is not very powerful. I had those server instances shut down to run a desktop instance to test making the VPN keys and had forgotten to power them back on after connecting to my new VPN. It seems to be working perfectly so far!

That is what I get for pulling an all-nighter.

What a delight to realize that the error is between the chair and the keyboard. :slightly_smiling_face: