Installing on a Netgear DG3500

Hi folks. Please pardon my newness. I'm interested in installing OpenWRT on a Netgear DG3500, using the factory option. This is an ADSL2+ modem, plus a LAN&Wifi Router, all in one product. My Windows 10 PC is connected to the router with an ethernet cable.

What I would like to do is upgrade the firmware from the factory interface, then be able to log in to OpenWRT on my router through a browser, like I did with the factory Firmware. Then have a Graphical user interface to set up my DSL, LAN, Wifi, etc.

I've read the OpenWRT DG3500 page, and I saw they did have the factory installation option for my router. The current release is:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.2/targets/lantiq/xway/openwrt-21.02.2-lantiq-xway-netgear_dgn3500-squashfs-factory.img

I've also read the archived forum topic on this router, and it didn't really cover the "how-to-install" subject.

2 questions:

1.) If I point my factory firmware upgrade to that file, will it do a simple firmware installation to OpenWRT?

2.) If the installation works, will I be able to use a browser, type in 192.168.1.1, and go into a graphical version of OpenWRT on my router to begin configuration? (That's the stock IP address on that router, which I'm currently using with the factory firmware). Is it that simple?

Thanks!

The hardware device page states that TFTP is used to upgrade from stock to OpenWrt.

192.168.1.1 is the "default" router gateway, so you'll use that IP to access the device after OpenWrt is installed.

Thank you so much for taking the time to include these links. It is much appreciated.

Will I be able to use a web browser window to get in and make the settings?

I've written down the settings from the factory firmware. Will OpenWRT have these settings laid out where I can find them? Here are the factory settings:

VPI: 0
VCI: 100 (or 35?)

Service Category: UBR Without PCR

Quality of Service enabled

PPPOE
LLC/Snap Bridging
8021.q NOT enabled

PPP Username: (removed)
PPP Password: (removed)
Authentication: Auto
UNCHECK: Dial on demand (with idle timeout timer)
PPP IP extension
Keep Alive
Use Static IP Address
SELECT: Obtain default gateway automatically

Enable NAT
DO NOT enable firewall
Do Not Enable IGMP Multicast
Enable WAN Service
Service Name: PPPOE0_100_1

UNDER ADVANCED TAB (UP TOP), PRESS "ADSL" BUTTON
Click ALL boxes EXCEPT "SRA ENABLE", then click "Apply"

CHECK G.Dmt Enabled
CHECK G.lite Enabled
CHECK T1.413 Enabled
CHECK ADSL2 Enabled
CHECK AnnexL Enabled
CHECK ADSL2+ Enabled
CHECK AnnexM Enabled

Capability
CHECK Bitswap Enable
UNCHECK SRA Enable

yes, unless you install a snapshot image, then the web UI needs to manually be added/installed post flashing.

Be aware that this target sees very little (close to zero) real-world testing (contrary to the newer, VDSL supporting, vrx2xx target), so you might be the first to encounter potential issues - and might have to fix them yourself. While it might (and hopefully does) work out just fine, I wouldn't exactly recommend this device to a beginner.

1 Like

Basically, I'm just hoping for greater stability, fewer dropped wifi incidents, and hopefully faster DSL speeds. I live in a rural area, and we max out around 12 Mbps, despite the fact that our service is supposedly for 18 Mbps. Do you think openwrt will help?

Thanks!

there's no guarantee speed will improve, it's dependent on the length of the copper wire you use for your internet access.

I would recommend leaving the DGN3500 with the stock firmware, and purchase a good gigabit AC router that is OpenWrt supported.

That way, you can simply bridge the DGN3500 to the AC router by turning off DHCP, wireless, and the firewall (which effectively turns it into a modem-only), and letting the AC router (with OpenWrt installed) do that work.

I used that kind of configuration on a DSL connection for several years before moving to fiber.

To help narrow down the selections, consider a device that uses MediaTek chips for wireless.

Note: Copy and paste the below link...posting a "live link" seems to mangle the search results.

openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_available_864_ac-wifi?dataflt%5BWLAN+Hardware*%7E%5D=MediaTek