Installing and Configuring ZyXEL WSM20

Sure, you can bind them any way you like.

So basically, I understand that the kernel codes are just handles to suggest the original manufacturer intentions, but all routers have them all unbound left to users' requirements.

For the LEDs I always wondered if it was also the default behavior expected on OpenWrt because you left the white, so I always assumed that white was a convention or something

Thank you @andyboeh for your confirmation

It means that I will not try to program the buttons, and stay with a more "traditional" solution.

Hi,

I have followed the item a) and created 2 SSIDs according to the guest wifi procedure.
What is strange to me now, is that the PC recognizes the wifi connection as WPA3 WiFi 5 AC, when I created it as AX Wifi 6. Is there a good way to check that?

To explain what I did:

• initially I creaded a SSID AX 5 GHz channel 132 40 Mhz, WPA3. In the end, it worked fine, and was correctly idenfied by the PC (Win10)
  • I disabled the previous SSID, and created 2 others, following the guest wifi procedure. Both on the 5 GHz radio, channel 120, 40 MHz; one as AX - WPA3 and one as AC - WPA2.
  • I connected the PC to the SSID AX-WPA3. It worked, but in the properties of the connection, the PC marks it as "Wifi 5 / AC", but WPA3 ... not totally clear to me ...

Thank you in advance for your clarification

It is working perfectly for me now. Thanks!

I've been running a SNAPSHOT build (OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r22848-7890dd75ad / LuCI Master git-23.118.79121-6fb185f) on my WSM20 devices for a number of months. I haven't wanted to use 23.05.0 so far as RC1 and RC2 both had known issues with AX speeds on Apple devices. It looks like this should be fixed with RC3 which has just been tagged and is being built now.

Two questions:

1. Are there any other known issues that I should be aware of in 23.05.x for my fairly simple usage (PPPoE, 2.4/5G AX, WPA2+3, bridged wireless/lan)
  2. My SNAPSHOT dates from a couple of weeks before the 23.05 branch point. Can I just sysupgrade with RC3 and keep my configuration?

Hi,

Any advice if it is an issue of configuration or device, or if it is not possible to creare 2 different separated SSIDs AX / AC on the same radio / channel?

Thank you in advance

You can create multiple SSID's under one radio. Radio works in one mode AC or AX or even N

Hi @mattimat,

Thank you for your feedback.
If I understand correctly, it means that I can only choose to have AX or AC on one radio (5 GHz or 2.4 GHz), not both.
Which means that in my case, the router basically operates in AC for both SSIDs on the 5GHz = if I want an AX and an AC, I should set up one on 5 GHz and the other one on 2.4 GHz.

Is the above correct?

Thank you in advance

That is corrrect according to my experience. AX radio AP works nicely with most AC clients.

1 Like

Thank you @mattimat for your confirmation.

What I found unclear is that my PC considered the SSID as AC (wifi5) but with WPA3, whereas I believed that WPA3 was available only for AX (wifi6) ... when I created the SSID in OpenWRT, I chose AX + WPA3, but since I created another SSID as AC + WPA2, I understood that radio should have downgrated both to AC + WPA2 ...
For information, an old device (AC only) could not connect to the SSID with WPA3, but only to the AC + WPA2

You can definitely use WPA3 with AC wireless, it's available on lots of devices when using OpenWRT. It's not always recommended on older hardware though as without the relevant hardware acceleration the crypto can be quite a high load for the CPU.

Older client devices, even quite high end ones, don't support WPA3 and will need WPA2 to be available. The same is true of cheap modern devices, even things like a Raspberry Pi. You can run in WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode (just like the good old days with WPA/WPA2 mixed mode) if you have devices that need WPA2.

2 Likes

thank you @timothyjward for your answers

Anyone in the UK interested in these should note that today Amazon have them at a shade over £73 for three, which seems like amazing value to me!

3 Likes

Suggesting: Adjust or clarify Wiki documentation.

I did:

• Plug WAN of my WSM20 into a LAN port of my regular network
  • Connected to the WSM20 initial wifi network
  • Accessed the hidden upgrade URI
  • Pushed initram
  • SSH/SCP sysupgrade
  • done

So what does the quoted secion above mean?

Was I supposed to enter some Zyxel cloud management credentials first?
That's as to my recent experience wrong.

Did the WSM20 automatically cloud-register "as a purchased device" without my interaction just by plugging its WAN port into one of my LAN ports?
Maybe (didn't check), but that just happend.

The quoted section from the wiki could therefore either be removed or clarified so that the text does no longer indicate "you have to give Zyxel your data in order to use OpenWRT".

I'd request wiki access and reword myself, but I'm not quite sure which of those happend.

I was unable to access the hidden upgrade page without allowing the device to connect to the cloud first. This could be due to the fact that it was connected to the Internet while I did my testing.

I also had to connect the WAN port to an internet connection in order to access the upgrade URL. I didn’t have to create an account with ZyXel or log into one though. I was also able to disconnect the WAN port as soon as initial setup completed (a few seconds after starting).

hi, can someone explain me how to open the plastic case? i tried with an opening pick, but it's so hard.
i'm so sorry if i posted in the wrong section.

There is a weak point here

thx for the response.
I already tried that point, but I ended up breaking the tool.