Installing a wlan dongle

First of all, there are no good USB WLAN cards which would be good for AP more, 24/7 operations or good throughput/ range. You'd be much better suited by 'offloading' your wireless needs to a cheap dedicated AP (or wireless router) running OpenWrt.

That out of the way, check lsusb for the exact USB IDs, before we continue guessing the correct chipset (and hoping it to be correct), also check dmesg for log messages regarding the device. An easy workaround could also be to connect the USB WLAN card to an x86_64 system running a contemporary general purpose linux distribution (a live image running from USB does the job), to check how it's detected there and which driver (kernel module) is needed to use it.

Some USB WLAN cards initially come up as (fake) USB CD-ROM drive, containing the (windows-) drivers with autorun - these devices need to be switched from CD emulation to WLAN access before they can be used ((usb-)modeswitch with a corresponding configuration); this includes some previous AVM branded WLAN cards.

Oh man.. I guess i found the issue :person_facepalming:. As explaned in this official guide i need the mt7650u driver.