Installation of lede in virtual box

please, i need help, i'm trying to install LEDE in virtual box to customize it for an academic projet

Academic project means there's public funding to cover expenses when someone travels to you, and that's just enough information, so no need to ask an actual question here, right?

Yes, the days of academics doing research seem to be long over. Here, let me spoon feed you the answer.

3 Likes

Installing LEDE as virtual machine doesn't necessarily give you the required options. Tried this myself in order to learn about OpenVPN and found out that required packages are missing in the repositories, so I gave up on this and will buy a second router to do my learnings.

Have success :wink:

Are you sure, can you mention a package which is missing?

1 Like

It would be nice if the OP first:

• describes what help is needed to accomplish the task (the OP was extremely vague, seeming to just need an instruction manual)
  • what customization help is needed for this task

I suggest visiting: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/virtualbox

@mikma: give me time until tomorrow (germany time zone) to look it up. In case you already have set up virtualbox for LEDE, you can try yourself to install OpenVPN following the OpenWRT tutorials, then you'll see which one is missing (I have already deleted my virtualbox-LEDE because it was of no use for me). Possibly it was the openssl-package, but I'm not sure right now.

I have installed LEDE in virtual machines and never seen packages missing.

1 Like

On "opkg install openvpn-openssl luci-app-openvpn openssl-util" I get:
[...]

Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for openvpn-openssl:
 * 	kernel (= 4.14.25-1-1f7e50a8fb9174b0490a23b79ea4e0d4) * 
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package openvpn-openssl.

Perhaps I've given up too early...I have kernel 4.14.20 installed

WHAT!?!?

The current stable OpenWRT/LEDE (17.01.4) uses Kernel 4.4.92...

What version of OpenWRT are you running???

EDIT: If you're using Snapshots, read this: Kmod-openvswitch package is not available in snapshots - #2 by lleachii

Also, the OP has not yet responded.

This because you are on snapshot and the repository keeps updating and sooner or later the packages will be non compatible with the snapshot you have installed

1 Like

Okay folks,

thanks for pointing me into the right direction. I cannot even remember which of the currently scattered howtos I've been following, I think it was one of the LEDE howtos which have disappeared since OpenWRT-LEDE-remerge, I took the image linked in that howto. Possibly I should help in republishing working howtos, currently it seems to be missing in the reborn OpenWRT wiki, which I consider normal directly after a remerge process...

edit: which image is the current one? Always having problems finding the right images, for hardware routers I usually consult the hardware list...

...for x86?

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/17.01.4/targets/x86/

I'm not sure what you mean really, I can always go to the Main page > Downloads > Stable Version. The main website always seems to reference the version number of the Current Stable Release. That's all the information you need to find the current image for any device.

One thing that anyone coming across this should be aware of, and, no, "the wiki" fails to mention it, is that the converted image likely needs to be resized to make it useful. As I recall, the command is along the lines of

VBoxManage modifymedium <path to converted image> --resize <size in mb>

Indeed, https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/other/other_vmware_x86_virtual_machine_2015_latest could use an update. If someone feels competent and experienced enough to update the dataentry, feel free to do so.