Install Snap Packages on OpenWrt

Hi;

I've created an armhf Snap package for RPi3 which works fine on Raspbian, Ubuntu Core and Ubuntu Server on Raspberry Pi 3. Technically, the same package should work on OpenWRT, as well. But snapd is not installed by default. How can I install snapd and then install my Snap package?

Thanks,
Vahid

From https://packages.debian.org/stretch/snapd both apparmor and systemd as dependencies suggest quite a challenge.

Wrapping the app in an OpenWrt package may be a simpler path.

2 Likes

Hi Jeff and thanks for your prompt response. What is your opinion about this solution?

I haven't tried it, yet.

Bests,
Vahid

OpenWrt implies resource-efficient optimization, which is very different from the approach of application virtualization.
If you need those kind of packages, most likely you should use some other distribution.

4 Likes

Hi Vgaetera;

You're right. But our app is a VPN and we need to install it on OpenWRT since some of our users explicitly use OpenWRT.

Bests,
Vahid

My opinion is that it is the wrong way to go about running firmware on a resource-constrained device.

My opinion is that you should either provide source so that it can be built by the end user, or provide a package that is compatible with OpenWrt.

My opinion is that closed-source and/or proprietary VPN products have a high risk of being insecure and/or containing spyware and should never be installed. This risk is even greater with "unknown" companies.

1 Like

Jeff,

Thanks for the comments. BTW, our product is an opensource VPN which we are working on since 2006 in an academic research lab at the University of Florida funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF).

Bests,
Vahid

1 Like

In that case, I think you will likely find someone willing to help you create a native package for OpenWrt.

2 Likes