Install OpenWrt on TL-WR940N

Hi.

Unfortunately I have the problem that I can not install OpenWRT on my TL-WR940N. I keep getting the error message "Error code: 18005, Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name." I've tried the possible solutions from here so far: "https://openwrt.org/faq/error_code_18005#:~:text=Error%20code%3A%2018005%2C%20Upgrade%20unsuccessfully,specific%20region%20signature%20when%20flashing.", but also by installing the oldest router firmware and then OpenWRT. Nothing has helped so far, always the same error message.

I would be happy if someone can help me with this.

What hardware revision?

The hardware revision is "Ver: 6.0"

All of these devices are in the "4/32" category and can only run OpenWrt 18.06 -- support has been dropped on all subsequent versions. This older version of OpenWrt is now obsolete, unsupported, and may contain serious security vulnerabilities.

If you decide to run OpenWrt, you can use the "Recovery Instructions" section of the device info page... but you should seriously consider getting new hardware since this version is no longer supported.

What router would you recommend for me in the same price range?

Depends on your requirements.

I actually just want to use a VPN. Internet up to 100 Mbits

I have same device here. Its great and really energy efficient with openwrt. Its running thanks to the great ath9k chipset only free software and does not require any closed source software.

First get openwrt installed on it. To my knowledge i used one of this 4 images for first installation:
tl-wr940n-v6-squashfs-factory-br.bin
tl-wr940n-v6-squashfs-factory-eu.bin
tl-wr940n-v6-squashfs-factory-us.bin
tl-wr940n-v6-squashfs-factory.bin

Have you tried all of them?
After openwrt 18.06 is installed, you should update to a recent image. You can take this one https://openwrt.ashus.net/21.02.3-targets-ath79-tiny-luci/openwrt-ath79-tiny-tplink_tl-wr940n-v6-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin or build the image on your own. The device is already ported to ath79 and should work with recent software for some time.
I dont get it why people say you should not use 4/32 devices. The ath79 ones are working great and openwrt should build images for them and provide them on the normal download page.

Quoting from the info page:

This device is NOT RECOMMENDED for future use with OpenWrt due to low flash/ram.
DO NOT BUY DEVICES WITH 4MB FLASH / 32MB RAM if you intend to flash an up-to-date and secure OpenWrt version (18.06 or later) onto it! See 4/32 warning for details.

1) This device does not have sufficient resources (flash and/or RAM) to provide secure and reliable operation.
This means that even setting a password or changing simple network settings might not be possible any more, rendering the device effectively useless. See OpenWrt on 4/32 devices what you can do now.

2) OpenWrt support for this device will end after 2019.
19.07 will be the last official build for 4/32 devices. After 19.07, no further OpenWrt images will be built for 4/32 devices. See OpenWrt on 4/32 devices what you can do now.

Beyond that, these older devices do not have the CPU horsepower, RAM, or storage to handle all but very basic routing relatively slow internet connections. This device has 100Mbps ethernet ports and probably can only handle about half that in terms of actual practical routing bandwidth.

It will not be possible at all to install a VPN if you're running 18.06 or higher (even on the tiny builds) as there simply is not enough memory to do that. And, even if you were to use a very old version (say 17.01 LEDE) which would leave you more available space, these older devices cannot handle VPN at any reasonable bandwidth due to the slow CPU performance.

Why? I have read this before over a year. I am telling that its wrong to not support those devices because they work perfectly fine.

Have you tested this? Because this is not true! Full 100Mbit is working fine on a 100Mbit internet connection. The hardware revision 6 have modern 750Mhz CPU and no issues.
I also have a 8/64 device: WNR2200 . When you install latest image wnr2200 its working way worse then the modern TL-WR940N.

For Wireguard you should build your own image and drop Luci.
I dont install any additional software on mine and can use it perfectly fine with Luci installed.

1 Like

Which device do you recommend? Up to a maximum of 30 euros. I want to use OpenVPN, internet speed up to 100 Mbits. Via Ethernet cable.

I don't have specific recommendations, but the forum section I linked earlier should have plenty of information to help you select another router.

For more space take the TP-Link TL-WR1043N v5. It have 16MiB ROM instead of 4 and double the RAM. Wireguard is woking fine on that one together with luci installed.

Or like told before: Just use your existing device that would also do the work and install OpenWrt on it without Luci.