Install OpenWrt on Shuttle OMNINAS KD20

It doesn't actually say you should use wget on the d20 itself.

Read the whole instruction, to understand the steps...

Christiaan - I see it's been a while for you as well since we were here on the forum. Were you able to get the case open? Back in 2015/16 I had downloaded a copy of the instructions and opened mine up, but I didn't keep the file when I though the NAS was dead. Turned out to be one of the drives. While trying to convert to OpenWRT I managed to brick mine back in 2020. Tonight I got my case open in about 15 minutes.

Two years ago I got the Red LED of Death on my KD20 when I messed up the OpenWRT migration. Tonight I pulled it out of the to-be-repaired pile, opened the case and soldered in the Berg header on the serial port.

The FTDI converter is set to 3.3V and connected to the KD20 and PC. Running Putty, set at 9600,N,8,1 and no flow control, the LEDs on the FTDI are responding to keystrokes, but I'm getting nothing back from the KD20.

CORRECTION - was getting only a Tx LED illuminating initially. Power cycled the NAS and now the Tx and Rx LEDs are flickering and I'm getting the typed characters echoed back on the Putty display. Now it's back to no eching and only the Rx LED flickering. Where to from here?

Any thoughts, ideas suggestions?

Use 115200 8N1, that's the expected setting it should use to communicate on the serial port.
If all doesn't work, there are ways to boot the device by preparing a bootloader on the SATA disk using another computer. I don't remember how all that works exactly, it's almost a decade ago that I was dealing with this device... But you should find traces of it on the Internet.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel, tried the higher baud rate this morning but I'm no longer getting an echo back. It did for a time last night, but no longer. Not sure what changed to cause it to start and then a few minutes later stopped working.

I gather the FTDI just works and that no driver is required?

When installing the bootloader on the HDD - is that a generic thing or specific to the KD20?
I gather the LAN interface goes live at that point ...

There should not be echo on the serial port. And yes, FTDI FT323H and such should work. If you need drivers depends on the operating system you are using.

When installing bootloader on the HDD the device behaves like any other Oxsemi OX820 aka. PLXTECH PLX7820 devices, I remember there used to be a lot of documentation around that in NAS forums, but I haven't looked for that for many years...

Thanks Daniel, I'm running Windows 11 - seeing no response from the NAS - what should I see when it works? Is there a keystroke sequence required to wake up the NAS port?
I'll have a look and see what I can find to prep the HDD as you indicated.

I have a case removal doc that I've prepared with photos. Should I email it to you prior to posting? I've got your email address from a couple years back ...

There is an USB recovery option using the factory firmware. The process is described over here on an archive of the shuttle website.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140628182059/http://www.shuttle.eu/support-service/technical-support/faq/staticview/82f233ec7c/?tx_irfaq_pi1[showUid]=289

I can upload the file KD20.zip somewhere if you are interested. I also have a copy of one of the latest factory firmware files saved that I can share. I don't know if it will still work with your nas after you have tried to install OpenWrt but it may be worth a try.

I've bricked mine a couple times and I think the best way to install OpenWrt is using tftp to load the initramfs-uImage and then do a sysupgrade from the running system. I don't know if the latest releases will work since I remember that there was an issue with the kernel size getting too big. One forum user showed how you can adjust the uboot env to allow the larger files to work. Unfortunately adjusting the uboot env on the KD20 can only be done via uart / serial and not from a running OpenWrt system as far as I can tell.

1 Like

This is the change in the uboot env that I mentioned before

Here a link with the USB recovery file KD20.zip and a copy of the KD20 factory firmware. This link will work for a week so make sure to download before then.

1 Like

Got it, thanks! I'll give it a go and advise ...

Tried a couple different thumb drives with the KD20 firmware following the posted instructions - no go. When powered up, the power LED flickers blue, I hear the chirp, there's some more blue flickering of the power LED and then it goes solid red.

The way I bricked my KD20 was I uploaded an image file to the wrong file name ... probably not the typical cause. I'm currently looking at:

as a step by step HDD recovery method.

That's unfortunate. I only used the USB recovery method once when the stock firmware got stuck / unresponsive. The other time I bricked my nas during an OpenWrt install / upgrade I managed to recover it using uart / serial.

There is a hard drive recovery option but I have not tried it before. If you need any copies of the different mtd partitions I can create those during the Xmas break when I visit my parents where the nas is stored at the moment.

1 Like

Konus, that would great, thank you! In looking at the process linked in my previous post - prepping the disk looks like quite the undertaking!

Konus - had some time tonight and got started. Finding the ox820-sata-uboot.tar.gz file was a challenge ...

Got the disk image together and booted the NAS. Same end result:

• power on
  • blue power LED flicker
  • HDD1 LED comes on
  • chirp
  • RED Power LED

Seems the HDD is not even being accessed :frowning:

EDIT - Had bought a couple FTDIs two years ago when I first bricked this NAS. Since I was getting no response through the one, I tried the USB recovery method - failed. Tried the HDD recovery method - failed.

As a last ditch effort I opened up the second FTDI - and found that the USB port was crushed!?
Makes me wonder about the first one now - think I'll order up a couple more from another source and try one last time.

Barring that, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on another KD20 that someone no longer wants ...

Hi Techguy,

I've dug out some of my notes from when I messed around with my KD20 and installed OpenWrt on it. Below are what I believe to be the unmodified printout of the uboot environment of a stock system. It shows how the default boot sequence tries to load firmware from nand and if that doesn't work it changes to the red error led and tries to find uImage and rdimg.gz on a tftp from 192.168.0.1

So the fact that you see the led go red means that uboot is still OK and doing what it is supposed to do. The easiest way to fix your nas it is to get a working serial connection since it will show you exactly what is going on. However another thing you could try is to setup a tftp server on 192.168.0.1 and serve the uImage and rdimg.gz files extracted from the KD20.zip file. That would in theory allow the system to boot into stock firmware from RAM and hopefully allow you to re-flash stock firmware. Any OpenWrt router can be setup as tftp server from within Luci so it should be quite easy thing to try.

bootcmd=run beep select0 load loadr sysled boot || run errled select2 load3 loadr3 ramboot boot
bootdelay=2
baudrate=115200
ethaddr=00:25:b1:ff:ff:00
ipaddr=192.168.0.128
serverip=192.168.0.1
autoload=n
netmask=255.255.0.0
bootfile="uImage"
select0=nand  info
select1=ide dev 0
select2=dhcp 
loadr=nand  read.e 0x62000000 240000 280000
loadr2=ide read 0x62000000 2122 1800
loadr3=tftp 0x62000000 rdimg.gz
load=nand  read.e 0x60500000 840000 300000
load2=ide read 0x60500000 50a 1800
load3=tftp 0x60500000 uImage
sysled=led 1
errled=led r
beep=beep
ramboot=setenv bootargs root=/dev/ram0 console=ttyS0,115200 initrd=0x61000000 mem=256M mac_adr=0x00,0x25,0xb1,0xff,0xff,0x00
boot=bootm 60500000 62000000
ft=n
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
bootargs=root=ubi0:rootfs ubi.mtd=5,512 rootfstype=ubifs initrd=0x61000000 console=ttyS0,115200 elevator=cfq mac_adr=0x00,0x25,0xb1,0xff,0xff,0x00 mem=256M poweroutage=yes

Many thanks Konus. I've ordered a couple FTDI converters.

In the meantime, I'll have a go at your tftp suggestion and see how that goes. I have an old Linksys NAS200 that might work, or I've seen where SolarWinds TFTP Server can be set up on Windows 10 ... thoughts?

Konus - Update - set up an tftp server on Windows 11 on my laptop using tftpgui - a python app I found here:
https://code.google.com/archive/p/tftpgui/

I've got the files you specified in the get/put folder - but I'm still ending up at the red LED. What IP does the NAS start with, or is it expecting a DHCP assignment?
If nothing else, I'm getting really good at finding brick walls!

Seems like it uses dhcp but could also be 192.168.0.128 based on the uboot settings. Maybe have a look in your routers admin page and see if a new device shows up?

ipaddr=192.168.0.128
serverip=192.168.0.1
autoload=n
netmask=255.255.0.0
bootfile="uImage"
select0=nand  info
select1=ide dev 0
select2=dhcp