Install OpenWrt on Asus RT-AC58U

Make sure that any USB-to-serial converter uses 3.3 V logic levels.

TTL (5 V) or RS232 serial can quickly fry a router.

1 Like

To be clear, the instructions require a Serial cable for installation of OpenWrt onto the RT-AC58U.

Again, be sure to use 3.3 Volts.

1 Like

as I can see, we install RT-AC58U via stock web ui upgrade

1. install rt-ac58u-initramfs-factory.trx via web ui
  2. after reboot, install rt-ac58u-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin via openwrt web ui upgrade page, keep no config.

I tested ok with my friend's device

all source code: https://github.com/x-wrt/x-wrt
custom build firmware: https://downloads.x-wrt.com/rom/

I don't know why openwrt removed the code for web ui upgrades.
so I provide a nice way, via web ui to install rt-ac58u.

1 Like

related changes:

This shows how to archive the web ui installation instead of the TTL way.

@ptpt52,

I'm lost...are you posts OpenWrt related?

If so, how?

X-Wrt, at least the recent version, is a close fork of recent OpenWrt. The patch has a good chance of being applied to OpenWrt.

(Edit: To be clear, "good chance of being applied" means by an individual. I can't speak for its acceptability to the project itself.)

2 Likes

I have provided a good way to install rt-ac58u (via web ui), what are you worried about?

x-wrt is not close
it is opensource
code: https://github.com/x-wrt/x-wrt

Yes, it is, and I appreciate that the work done there is shared openly.

The git repo was linked in the thread I referenced, and that open repo was the source from which I made the comparison I referenced.

Edit, forgive me, "close" meaning "near to" (not related to the verb "to close")

I wonder...since X-WRT is a fork, is it possible to install X-WRT and then sysupgrade to OpenWRT?

it is compatable to install openwrt from x-wrt via sysupgrade.
but it cannot sysupgrade back to x-wrt, since the related scripts is not compatable.

we need to push the upgrade scripts changes to openwrt in the future to make it compatable.

I post here to hope others can do some test and feeds back.

1 Like

I am posting a PR to openwrt

Friends who understand the situation, please do some testing and feedback

I think it would be helpful if your information were in its separate thread...

OR...

Are you saying the OP has a current GUI install option using that firmware???

If the OP can somehow install OpenWrt currently using your method, please provide clarity on that procedure.

(Otherwise, this is just a hijack of the topic.)

At least for me, I appreciate @ptpt52 offering an improved user experience through their public git repo, as well as offering it back to OpenWrt in a formal pull request.

I consider it on-topic, as it would be for any device that isn't "perfectly" supported. Pick from many early stage devices and you'll see all kinds of ways for users to try to install the firmware, some brute force, some more elegant.

Not being facetious, I'm quite interested on if this means there's a GUI flashing method available now.

Like:

• flash Xwrt
  • then flash OpenWrt

...or perhaps I misunderstood?

@lleachii ..yeah that is basically what was just said in post #15...
that you can install X-WRT
and then sysupgrade to OpenWRT
AKA, the firmware upgrade in the GUI
sounds like a good workaround for now...

1 Like

@mpratt14

Did you actually attempt to do this? Does it work?

Stock -> WebUI upgrade to X-WRT -> Sysupgrade to OpenWRT current snapshot

In addition, I actually have RT-ACRH13 which I believe is the same hardware as AC-58U, but I am looking for confirmation on that?

You have the right idea

It works according to @ptpt52, not me

I have not done this, but I have done a similar thing for a different router with a different fork of OpenWRT (from easywrt.com), which helped me to get the real OpenWRT on in 2 flashes.

Recent discussion on this on the mailing list. See also

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/staging/chunkeey.git;a=commit;h=6f113484dcca970f6574fa1372f4fc38ba12c366

commit 6f113484dc (staging-chunkeey/master)
Author: Christian Lamparter <chunkeey@gmail.com>
Date:   Sat Mar 30 21:07:40 2019 +0100

ipq40xx: RT-AC58U: "easy install" factory.trx

@ptpt52

I see that this commit was discussed, but I'm not seeing a .trx download available in latest snapshots for AC58U?