Increasing memory and changing the configuration file for correct display

Hello everyone, there is such a moment, there is a tp link archer c20 v4 router, on the 4 pda forum I discovered that it is possible to replace the RAM + change the flash volume. Please tell me, if I start assembling the firmware from source codes, where and what configuration files do I need to change so that the system correctly determines how much RAM and how much ROM memory I have, please tell me if you have information

Possible, yes. Practical, not really. That device is not really worth the effort to do this... it's an 8/64 device (sufficient for running 23.05), but only has 100Mbps ethernet ports and a 580MHz single core SoC. The money spent on additional RAM + flash memory (and the soldering and programming tools, if you don't already own them), plus the time and energy invested make this a fools errand. Plus, you might damage the unit and then you've wasted not only the cost of the new parts, but also the router itself.

IMO, buy an entirely new device... don't waste money/time on the upgrade of those components in your aging device.

2 Likes

I have already bought the necessary components, I will be able to destroy the device if I am happy and remove some nanoconder from the board and not notice it, in fact I already have a dump of the operating system, a programmer for recovery too, and I understand how to use it, I like it The very idea of trying to improve where something can be improved appeals to me, if you can tell me what needs to be changed, I will be very grateful to you

If you have the components you only desolder the ones one the board and resolder the new ones in place.

Have you heard the expression BGA before?

Nice that you are happy, what is a nanoconder?
How did you remove it without notice it?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I heard about BGA that there are microcircuits that are soldered onto balls, I can do this with a hairdryer, having first coated everything with flux before soldering. I can break the device, unless by chance I notice some nanocapacitor and drop it, which is located with the chip, that is, a capacitor exactly or less than 1 millimeter in size

If I resolder the microcircuits, will I need to somehow change the configuration files when creating the firmware from the source code?! at least, I plan to do it according to the person’s instructions, I’ll post the link - https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=715256&view=findpost&p=114231148

according to this post, I cannot find a file called mktplinkfw2.c, I tried searching in the opewrt folder by the file name, by the approximate name of the file, by the text that may be in the file, it seems to be missing, so I don’t know how critical it is, if I don’t fix this file, so I ask the developer for help, this would be a lesson for me and I would write instructions so that everyone who wants to do the same knows what they need to do

dear person, can you please show an example of how to do this, I will be very grateful to you) I don’t quite understand how to implement this simply

Hihi, hairdryer, have you been looking at youtube movies now🤣…
You know that the Pb free tin under the chip need to be heated through the chip to 450°C within 10seconds or the silicone is destroyed by thermal overload. You need a hot air solder blower for this job, they usually cost from 1000USD and higher.

I bought a hair dryer on Aliexpress, which can heat up to 600 degrees) everything is great)

I’ll wait for the period when it warms up to 450 degrees and put the muzzle to the microcircuit for 10 seconds)

I'm going to wager that this device will be destroyed in the process. As long as you're okay with that, feel free to move forward.

1 Like

ok, I can take the board to a service center so that they can unsolder this microcircuit using a thermal pro and solder it back, well, it will literally cost a couple of dollars, for me the result is still important, that everything works, this is how my enthusiasm manifests itself

Dear person, do I understand correctly that replacing microcircuits + installing a basic operating system from the source will be enough? Do you need to edit any files anywhere?

That ain’t a hairdryer, that is a heatgun.

Good luck to you and let your router RIP in router heaven.

1 Like

I have not done this myself with an openwrt router, but I believe you will need to compile from source code, or at the least modify the profile for the image builder.

Search the forum for other similar projects.

1 Like