Inability to Log Into OpenWRT Router

Greetings all,

this is my first and, regretfully, problem reporting topic.

I installed OpenWRT on an Ubiquiti arirouter XM. The installation went uneventfully, and I was able to log in via the web interface, having connected a lan port of the router via a cable to a computer. I was exploring the configuration, and after creating several zones, just to familiarize with the concept, I decided to configure the lan zone.

Clicking on the lan icon resulted in a red bar with text informing me that OpenWRT crashed and lost connection to the router.

Restarting both the router and the computer - after all it is Windows 10, and trying to log-in, resulted in the browser responding with "LuCI - Lua Configuration Interface" and failing to log-in with "192.168.1.1 took too long to respond". Trying to log in via ssh, ssh root@192.168.1.1 results in the connection timing out, and ssh root@opwnwrt.lan in unknown host.

I this wonder if I have a nice paperweight.

If there is any solution, please describe it in terms of detailed commands, I run FreeBSD on my computers so I am rather handy with CLI. Saying that, I am not connecting a FreeBSD machine to the router; however, I have a live CD with Linux, so a set of Linux commands would be fine.

Kindest regards,

M

This usually happens when the computer was using a static address and after flashing the router is on 192.168.1.1, the computer was using DHCP from pre flash router and subnet changed but the computer already has a lease on a different subnet or the cache in the browser needs to be cleared.

Hi LilRedDog,

I do not know, how to thank you.

Kindest regards,

M

1 Like

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/troubleshooting/failsafe_and_factory_reset

should work.

Be aware that your device does not meet minimum system requirements and might 'just' run out of RAM while trying to boot.

Hi slh,

thank you for your reply.

When I researched the use of OpenWRT on the Ubiquity airouter XM, I did not find the page you linked, just the one with the airrouter XM with the warning not to use 4/32 device. Your point is taken though, so I will have to go another route.

Kindest regards,

M

Before you pick your next prospective router scroll to the bottom of the hardware page.
This is where red flags are and you can click on them for a more detailed explanation why they are flagged.
They never explain grey tags but a flag is a flag.

Hi LilRedDog,

thank you for your reply.

The issue is that I would like to familiarize with the concepts in the OpenWRT first by a hands-on approach. For example, my previous firewall, pf from BSD distribution did not have any zones, and it took me some reading and trying different set-ups, before I got the (perhaps false) impression that I understand it. By means of another example, I still cannot get on an Internet from the browser. Although from an ssh I can ping, trace-route etc., I do not quite know how to set up the computer, i.e., IP address, gateway, and the like.

As such, I was wondering if it would be possible to uninstall some of the components, e.g., I do not need support for PPoE, ipv6, LuCI, dhcp, AP, or are they compiled into the "base" and one would have to recompile, which is "above my pay grade".

Kindest regards,

M

It would be best if you started a new thread with your new issue (cannot surf) and include what you want to do (strip packages for usages you don't want).

Go ahead and include these results so you don't need to be asked later:

Please connect to your OpenWrt device using ssh and copy the output of the following commands and post it here using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
grafik
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have:

ubus call system board
cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless
cat /etc/config/dhcp
cat /etc/config/firewall
1 Like

Hi LilRedDog,

thank you for the reply, I was able to solve it.

Of, course, now I have other issues.

Kindest regards,

M

Just start another thread and we will, as a community, work on resolving it.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.