Image Builder does not work

I refer to this question: [SOLVED] Snapshot Image Builder package error

I gave up, I could make it find the correct parts, and build, but flashing it to any and all of the supported device list from that build did not work at all. None of the images worked, so it is clear the build was corrupted either by me (unintentionally) or it was incomplete since the very beginning.

Can someone point me to the proper place to use imagebuilder?

I had been using imagebuilder for a long time (over 4 years) and suddenly it stopped working so i switched to nightly builds and downloading packages on top, but this means the router needs to be completely reconfigured if it gets reset.

Thanks in advance

I keep trying to follow the examples that are online, and even default packages won't work. I am hitting a wall here. I wonder how the build bot does it.

Which device are we talking about?

How did you build the image(s)?
Which image have you tried to install on which device, and which instructions did you follow?

1 Like

Are you by any chance trying to use the mt76x8 imagebuilder? With the recent introduction of RAVPower RP-WD009, an extra tool was introduced specific to that device - and there's a slight misconfiguration with its Makefile resulting in the package not being added to the device specific repo, and ImageBuilder ends up not finding it, resulting in a similar error you've linked to - just a different package.

I made images for tlwr842, archer c5, dir860L, tlwr842 and a few others.

Dowloaded the image builder nightly build, touched repositories to point to nightly, make image tlwr842 for example, I used to make it with packages and files but tried with default values since it started not building or building incorrectly

All of the ones mentioned above, using the current openwrt installed in the device, normal firmware upgrade path with settings being erased.

I believe the dir860L uses mt76xx but not sure if it is this one.

i did compile mips, ath and rtl (with the recent changes that added support for it and made the image bigger) but all of those didn't boot in the devices even if compilation and size did pass.

I am not sure the build was not corrupted because the packages found many missing things, kernel complaint, dpkg issues - all of which you can read in the first post I referenced.

To be completely fair and because I am thankful that you took the time to read and reply to this I am gonna make a VM with Debian and write down all the steps I took, and write down the names, locations and errors I encounter this time around. This has been going on for a while and I have not tried it in the past 6 weeks.

Updating on this topic:

The version that is currently online seems to work, sometimes.
I find I have to delete the folder and unzip it again before compiling for another image or it fails. if I remove the image target it compiles every single target with no issues, but cherry picking the target seems to leave files that can't be used. Perhaps a clean would work?

I did a few compilations and it finished, but now comes the greasy part. I will start putting those images onto devices and see if they boot with it and works as expeted.

I tried this:

Model TP-Link TL-WR842N/ND v2
Architecture Atheros AR9341 rev 3
Firmware Version OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r14693-83fcc0e6ae / LuCI Master git-20.286.58939-f583d47

Which builds. but it sees no wireless device whatsoever. I keep getting this errors that there is no wifi device detected.