Image - an etc/uci-defaults script to chown

Could someone show me what an /etc/uci-defaults script would have to look like, to set the owner of a directory and a file (as below) to user and group bobby (supposing bobby was the only non-root user I added and had uid 1000)?

I believe it might contain lines such as:

#!/bin/sh
chown bobby:bobby /home/bobby
chown bobby:bobby /home/bobby/.ssh/authorized_keys

Would I name the script any file name ending in .sh and place it in files/etc/uci-defaults/ (within the image builder directory)`?

What would be great is if someone showed me the whole script if there are not too many lines. Thanks.

LATER ADDED

My question assumes this situation.

• I have manually added a non-root user bobby to the router, made it a superuser, replaced Dropbear with OpenSSH, and added public keys to bobby's authorized_keys.
  • Extracted the resulting configs (e.g. /etc/group, /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/sudoers, /etc/sudoers.d, /home/bobby/.ssh/authorized_keys, /etc/ssh/sshd_config) from the router to Ubuntu, made them bobby owned in Ubuntu, and included them in the 'make image' command as FILES=
  • Therefore, all that a /etc/uci-defaults script has to do is to make certain files bobby owned
  • The script need not create any user etc.

One minor advantage of this method is that I get to preserve authorized_keys from 'make image` version to version.

The major advantage is that I might actually understand the script (much simpler than one that would first create bobby).

STILL LATER ADDED

My mad idea, based on vgaetera's (sane) reply, worked!

All I had to do was to include in the /etc/uci-defaults folder (of the make image files folder) a file called "xx_custom" consisting of this single line:

chmod -R 777 /etc/dump

so as to change the permissions of that folder and all contents (yes, different from the stated object, but for testing).

No shbang line needed.

1 Like

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/additional-software/imagebuilder#restricting_root_access

1 Like

Thank you. Please see ADDED LATER portion of OP.

Looking at your link, they seem to be commands for creating the script.

This line,

cat << "EOF" > files/etc/uci-defaults/xx_custom

seems to mean, "I want a script called xx_custom and I want the following stuff to go in it."

That's too highly advanced for me. I am not yet up to speed on use of variables, for instance.

I need the script itself, which I could simply put in the FILES= folder. The script only has to chown some files, not create them.

It seems to me the relevant portion would then be somewhere around:

cat << EOI > "${USER_HOME}"/.ssh/authorized_keys
${USER_SSHPUB}
EOI
chown -R "${USER_NAME}:${USER_GROUP}" "${USER_HOME}"
chmod -R go= "${USER_HOME}"
EOF

I need to know what that translates to, in terms of the script that I would put in files/etc/uci-defaults/. Thanks.

On a mad inspiration, I entered all the lines of your linked box into Terminal, and it actually gave me a file called xx_custom that's got all the lines I entered (but no #!/bin/sh to start off the file).

So it looks to me that all my script needs to have would be just the chown lines I want! I'll try that.

1 Like

Note that shebang is redundant since the uci-defaults scripts are sourced.
By the way, you can use exactly the same script name as in the example.

1 Like

Thank you again. Is there any significance to file name "xx_custom"? Can it be any other "regular" expression (not to include space, special symbols, etc.)?

1 Like

The xx is usually two digits providing the startup priority. (but they are run in alphabetical order, not in pure numeric, so 100 would be before 99)

uci_defaults script files are deleted after a successful run, but in most routers you can see the original in /rom.

See the existing uci_defaults in /rom/etc/uci_defaults:

root@router1:~# ls  /rom/etc/uci-defaults/
00_uhttpd_ubus                          30_luci-theme-openwrt-2020
04_led_migration                        30_uboot-envtools
10-fstab                                40_luci-ddns
10_migrate-shadow                       40_luci-miniupnp
12_network-generate-ula                 40_luci-statistics
13_fix-group-user                       50-dnsmasq-migrate-resolv-conf-auto.sh
14_migrate-dhcp-release                 50-luci-sqm
15_odhcpd                               50-migrate-rpcd-ubus-sock.sh
20_migrate-feeds                        50_luci-mod-admin-full
30_luci-theme-bootstrap                 99-miniupnpd
30_luci-theme-material                  bcp38
2 Likes

Understood. I see how the execution order would become critical if one thing presumes another. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.