I'm going in circles

I tracked down and added a Comfast CF-EW71 device to the makemenu. It works very nicely. I moved from 18.06 to the 19.07.1 because the saving to primary flash was spotty and usually came back with factory.

Initially 19.07 was 100% reliable at saving. However, I now have an older image that is great but all new ones refuse to save to primary flash, resulting in a factory fresh image on every reboot.

I see this entry on both images:
mount_root: jffs2 not ready yet, using temporary tmpfs overlay

However the good image then goes on and does this:
jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): End of filesystem marker found at 0x0
[ 57.982797] jffs2_build_filesystem(): unlocking the mtd device...
[ 57.982875] done.
[ 57.991323] jffs2_build_filesystem(): erasing all blocks after the end marker...
[ 82.752928] done.
[ 82.762735] jffs2: notice: (1812) jffs2_build_xattr_subsystem: complete building xattr subsystem, 0 of xdatum (0 unchecked, 0 orphan) and 0 of xref (0 dead, 0 orphan) found.
[ 83.109839] overlayfs: upper fs does not support tmpfile.

What have I done, or not done, to wreck the mtd stuff? How can I get the new image to complete the jffs2 subsystem?

You can try running 'firstboot' to get the JFFS2 overlay to reformat. If that doesn't help though the problem might lie elsewhere.

In this case, I'd use sysupgrade -n /tmp/… instead. firstboot from the running system only deletes files, but doesn't format the jffs2 (as it's still mounted), only running firstboot from the failsafe environment (overlay not mounted) actually formats it (or sysupgrade).

2 Likes

I tried the sysupgrade -n /tmp/firmware.bin from the newly created firmware and it does nothing for the jffs2.

Somehow I removed a needed module, and I have no idea where to look, so now I will begin over with a fresh 19.07 install.

I grabbed a snapshot of 19.07 and kept it REAL simple, ie I only add Luci.

It fixes the jffs2 and it now reboots from the Menu.

I have no idea what happened, but I never argue with success. Now I can move forward.

Thanks for the suggestions.

All is well and I have a fully working firmware with my desired apps.

I now am getting this message at the end of the build. It build fine and this seems like a warning, but if someone knows what it means and can tell me what it means I would like to fix the issue.

WARNING: Applying padding in /home/lonnie/openwrt/openwrt-19.07/bin/targets/ar71xx/generic/packages/Packages to workaround usign SHA-512 bug!

That's normal behaviour, working around a bug in older OpenWrt versions.

Thanks. I will rest easy because it is working perfectly now.